Anything i can do for this fish?

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It looks like He’s breathing heavily and has stringy poop, is this internal parasites?

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It looks like He’s breathing heavily and has stringy poop, is this internal parasites?

He looks thin - and rapid breathing - can you give any more info?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks thin - and rapid breathing - can you give any more info?
He had a pair that just died yesterday and he was eating yesterday but isn’t to interested today, this is actually my second pair of cardinals from dr reef to get sick, they just keep coming in sick from dr reef because all my other fish are fine and i also got them from dr reef.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

These fish do not ship well and often arrive rough , but important is the acclimation they are given after shipping. At my LFS, there were always week ones in my shipment . Long acclimation seemed to help and when thin, its important they eat soon. As you may know, they eat frozen foods exclusively and rare on dry food. Some first foods would be mysis shrimp and chopped krill. Assure also salinity match and good salinity level 1.024-1.025 and offer added oxygen with air stone

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish do not ship well and often arrive rough , but important is the acclimation they are given after shipping. At my LFS, there were always week ones in my shipment . Long acclimation seemed to help and when thin, its important they eat soon. As you may know, they eat frozen foods exclusively and rare on dry food. Some first foods would be mysis shrimp and chopped krill. Assure also salinity match and good salinity level 1.024-1.025 and offer added oxygen with air stone
I did all that

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He had a pair that just died yesterday and he was eating yesterday but isn’t to interested today, this is actually my second pair of cardinals from dr reef to get sick, they just keep coming in sick from dr reef because all my other fish are fine and i also got them from dr reef.
Can you give other information - your parameters, any other symptoms the fish has? What other fish in the tank? What do you think killed the other one?
I did all that
the thing thats hard - is that you are with the fish - we are not. It concerns me that one fish died yesterday - now another one (but not all) looks sick. The 'thin-ness' did not happen overnight - but rather something over several days-weeks.

To answer your specific question - could it be internal parasites. The fish is definitely thin. I would actually discuss this situation with @Dr. Reef again - he may have some more suggestions. How long have you had the fish? The thing is - Internal parasites should not make it through their process (as far as I know)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait it out and see how it does as its a new arrival.
Just curious, how did you acclimate and how long?
I acclimated them for like 2-3 hours following the directions of dr reefs website, also they aren’t new ive had them for about 2-3 weeks now, same as the other ones before they died.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give other information - your parameters, any other symptoms the fish has? What other fish in the tank? What do you think killed the other one?

the thing thats hard - is that you are with the fish - we are not. It concerns me that one fish died yesterday - now another one (but not all) looks sick. The 'thin-ness' did not happen overnight - but rather something over several days-weeks.

To answer your specific question - could it be internal parasites. The fish is definitely thin. I would actually discuss this situation with @Dr. Reef again - he may have some more suggestions. How long have you had the fish? The thing is - Internal parasites should not make it through their process (as far as I know)
all parameters are fine, he was eating yesterday but isn’t today. that and the heavy breathing and white poop stuck to him are the only symptoms i can notice. I think the other fish died because he was sick. i can show you a picture of my tank and show you that all the other fish are doing fine. I’ve already gone through that before with dr reef. He doesn’t do anything he just sends you a replacement or gives you your money back.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
all parameters are fine, he was eating yesterday but isn’t today. that and the heavy breathing and white poop stuck to him are the only symptoms i can notice. I think the other fish died because he was sick. i can show you a picture of my tank and show you that all the other fish are doing fine. I’ve already gone through that before with dr reef. He doesn’t do anything he just sends you a replacement or gives you your money back.
MY opinion - they are unrelated - barring a significant internal illness. @Jay Hemdal

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should contact Dr Reef and try to find out if these are captive raised or wild caught. If the latter, those are prone to a specific viral disease that causes very high mortality in just this species (and batfish).

Jay

Upvote 0

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are wild caught and unfortunately most viruses are not known till its too late and there are no known cure for most of them either. OP please pm me and we will get you credited.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are wild caught and unfortunately most viruses are not known till its too late and there are no known cure for most of them either. OP please pm me and we will get you credited.

Thanks for stepping in! While I can't say for sure if this was that virus, it could be. Here is a write-up I did about that:

Banggai Cardinalfish Iridovirus (BCIR)

This fish was originally discovered in 1933 but then lost to science for about 60 years, when the Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) was “rediscovered” and began entering the tropical fish trade. Aquarists noted how hardy the species was and that they were very easy to reproduce in captivity. A decade later, the price for wild-caught Banggai cardinalfish had decreased fivefold, but the animals were now considered very delicate, with high losses seen in newly acquired wild fish.

What was the cause of this sudden change in the apparent health of this species in captivity? Poor handling, collection with cyanide (unlikely), and bacterial disease were all suggested as possible reasons for this change. A researcher then published a study showing that the presence of an iridovirus was associated with episodes of mass mortality in newly imported cardinalfish (Weber et al. 2009). A similar virus has since been isolated from the common batfish, Platax orbicularis (Sriwanayos et al. 2013), but a corresponding high mortality in aquarium fish of that species has not been noted, perhaps because many fewer batfish are imported for the pet trade than the ever-popular Banggai cardinalfish.

Since there is no cure for this viral disease, captive-raised fish that were never exposed to wild stock, or fish that have subsequently developed immunity by surviving an infection would be the best choices for aquarists. Avoid inexpensive wild-caught Banggai Cardinalfish. Not only do they have a poor survival record, but they’re also being collected at such a high rate that wild populations are locally threatened with extinction.

Citation: Weber ES 3rd, Waltzek TB, Young DA, Twitchell EL, Gates AE, Vagelli A, Risatti GR, Hedrick RP, Frasca S Jr. 2009. Systemic iridovirus infection in the Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni Koumans 1933). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted you and you said they were captive bred and on the website is says they are captive bred? I wouldn’t have bought them if i would have known they were wild caught because i paid captive bred prices for them. If they are wild caught that explains why they all died.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my understanding as well but when I contacted the wholesaler they confirmed that they mix the 2 and are not distinguished between so we also removed the Captive Bred off our website as well.
I am looking for a different source of captive bred and once we have it confirmed we will place both on the site.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my understanding as well but when I contacted the wholesaler they confirmed that they mix the 2 and are not distinguished between so we also removed the Captive Bred off our website as well.
I am looking for a different source of captive bred and once we have it confirmed we will place both on the site.
I wish i would have known before i spent 50 bucks for one wild caught fish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back