OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Coppersafe and API test kit. They will be here tomorrow afternoon. Is there anything I can do in the mean time that would help? So far all the fish are swimming and eating.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Coppersafe and API test kit. They will be here tomorrow afternoon. Is there anything I can do in the mean time that would help? So far all the fish are swimming and eating.

Unless they start doing poorly between now and then, you probably don't need to do much besides feeding good quality food and keeping the QT nice a clean. :)

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to notice her scratching herself on the PVC elbows. Thank you for recommending me move forward with treatment.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they start doing poorly between now and then, you probably don't need to do much besides feeding good quality food and keeping the QT nice a clean. :)
It's pretty obvious now the Hippo has Velvet. There are tiny white dots all over her. Do I do what's recommend on the Coppersafe and raise Copper levels over 24-48 hours, or do I do what's recommend on this forum and do it over 3-5 days? I read the copper only works on the free swimming stage, so it does not provide immediate relief from the disease. Should I do a freshwater dip? Is it possible the TTM slowed the onset of the velvet on any way? My last experience with velvet everyone died within days.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty obvious now the Hippo has Velvet. There are tiny white dots all over her. Do I do what's recommend on the Coppersafe and raise Copper levels over 24-48 hours, or do I do what's recommend on this forum and do it over 3-5 days? I read the copper only works on the free swimming stage, so it does not provide immediate relief from the disease. Should I do a freshwater dip? Is it possible the TTM slowed the onset of the velvet on any way? My last experience with velvet everyone died within days.

Just to answer your last question; no. Because TTM doesn't work on velvet.

Do a 5 minute fresh water dip.
Then a 90 minute Acriflavine bath.

Then use Coppersafe with an API Copper Test kit for 30 days at therapeutic levels 1.5 - 2.0 ppm. Ramp up the copper slowwwwwwly over a period of 3 - 5 days.

And a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to answer your last question; no. Because TTM doesn't work on velvet.

Do a 5 minute fresh water dip.
Then a 90 minute Acriflavine bath.

Then use Coppersafe with an API Copper Test kit for 30 days at therapeutic levels 1.5 - 2.0 ppm. Ramp up the copper slowwwwwwly over a period of 3 - 5 days.

And a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.

I agree with all that ^^^ except for the period used to raise the copper level. With velvet you want to move quickly. You would raise the copper level within 24-48 hours like it says on the bottle. The reason being is that velvet can kill just that quickly so you want to get the meds up fast to start killing them as the drop off the fish and keep them from reinfecting the fish after. The idea is that it's the lesser of two evils- between copper sensitivity and death by velvet.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have Acriflavine. I only have the coppersafe and test kit coming today. Could I do daily freshwater dips, start the Coppersafe today, and do the Acriflavine baths in a few days? Should all the fish get freshwater dips or just the Hippo with the obvious symptoms?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one fish has it, they all have it. Even if you can't see it. Acriflavine makes SOME of the velvet fall off, but not all of them which provides some instant relief to the fish. Which helps the fish breathe easier.

If the fish can survive without the Acriflavine, you can do it before they go back into the display (when it's time). But it has to be done (don't skip this very important step).

Good luck.[emoji106]

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do a search on Amazon for Acriflavine, I see an API antifungal freshwater tablet. Is Ruby Reef Rally what I should buy instead? I also read some threads on here about substituting the Acriflavine for a hydrogen peroxide treatment, but has anyone ever done that? I do have that on hand.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love [emoji173]️ Ruby Reef Rally! It works great and yet it's gentle on the fish. It will turn the water yellowish tho, but that's ok.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok that I added Prazipro 4 days ago and then the copper today slowly ramping it up? I just realized I should have checked first :(.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone just got the freshwater dip. The Hippo seems to have lost all the tiny white dots on her ( or they're just too hard for me to see). The Sailfin was looking pale and dusty but now looks normal. The other two don't appear to have visible symptoms. I've done a second increase of copper and will get to the full dose tomorrow. The Ruby Reef Rally arrives Thursday, and I plan on fresh water dips daily until then. I'm hoping the slow onset means these guys will pull through.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok that I added Prazipro 4 days ago and then the copper today slowly ramping it up? I just realized I should have checked first :(.

Yes that's ok. Prazi is only active in the water for 48 hours. Just don't add prazi and copper on the same day. If you already started the copper treatment, then don't worry about the acryflavin bath. 30 days in copper will be sufficient to get them better. Freshwater dips will buy you time for sure. Just don't do more than one a day as even that's a little much for them.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's ok. Prazi is only active in the water for 48 hours. Just don't add prazi and copper on the same day. If you already started the copper treatment, then don't worry about the acryflavin bath. 30 days in copper will be sufficient to get them better. Freshwater dips will buy you time for sure. Just don't do more than one a day as even that's a little much for them.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-terror-identifying-and-treating-marine-velvet.26/

In this thread it's said that he's never won the battle with velvet by only freshwater dips and copper. He's only been successful with a chemical bath used also. Since I already ordered the Ruby Reef Rally I will be able to use it, but my understanding is it can't be used with copper. Since therapeutic levels of copper can't ever drop, a bath of Reef Rally seems like a bad idea. Would it make any difference to do a bath after the 30 days of copper? Or, maybe just do the bath when I get the delivery and reset my 30 day clock? After how many days of freshwater dips should I stop doing them?

Thanks for being so patient with all my questions. I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can and correctly:)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-terror-identifying-and-treating-marine-velvet.26/

In this thread it's said that he's never won the battle with velvet by only freshwater dips and copper. He's only been successful with a chemical bath used also. Since I already ordered the Ruby Reef Rally I will be able to use it, but my understanding is it can't be used with copper. Since therapeutic levels of copper can't ever drop, a bath of Reef Rally seems like a bad idea. Would it make any difference to do a bath after the 30 days of copper? Or, maybe just do the bath when I get the delivery and reset my 30 day clock? After how many days of freshwater dips should I stop doing them?

Thanks for being so patient with all my questions. I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can and correctly:)

It's perfectly fine. I hadn't quite worked my way around to that idea, but yes. It would be a good idea to do the bath when you get the Rally, then restart the clock. It's only a few days so it won't make a big difference to you or the fish to have a couple extra days in copper.

Oh and ask as many questions as you can think of! I love questions and I'll do my best to answer them. You'll have to forgive me, sometimes there are so many alerts for me to check on it's hard for me to keep them all straight in my head. :)

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until the fish are about ready to go into the display tank to do the Rally bath. That way you're not stressing the fish out even more than they already are.

Also, if you get Rally, you're NOT supposed to Shake the bottle. And store it in a dark, cool place, but NOT in the fridge. This information isn't on the bottle but try to remember not to shake it.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 171 73.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.2%
Back