OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how the Sailfin fin is still alive. I think this is his last few hours though.
Amazon messed up my order, so my Reef Rally won't be here until Friday! I called all over, and the closest place to me that has it is a two hour drive. I thought I'd hold off on the freshwater dip tonight. I am not noticing any spots, and thought a day off may help? The therapeutic level of Coppersafe is 1.5-2, right? These tests kits are very subjective. [emoji53]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how the Sailfin fin is still alive. I think this is his last few hours though.
Amazon messed up my order, so my Reef Rally won't be here until Friday! I called all over, and the closest place to me that has it is a two hour drive. I thought I'd hold off on the freshwater dip tonight. I am not noticing any spots, and thought a day off may help? The therapeutic level of Coppersafe is 1.5-2, right? These tests kits are very subjective. [emoji53]

That's the correct level yes. You can use a formalin dip instead. You'll need to do it fast though. First thing in the AM if not tonight. Quick cure should be available somewhere and has formalin in it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Maybe some of the others can pull through. Again, I can't thank you enough for walking me through this process. It really helps to not feel so lost.

I hope you can too. Keep us posted and the best of luck

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your supposed to view it from the top. It looks a little dark in the picture but that's probably not the most accurate way to read the test (through a picture I mean). View it from the top down in bright light. If you need to lower it some, you can do that with a small water change.

If you think the sailfin won't make it through another FW dip, then he's probably past saving. I'm sorry to have to say that. It sucks. You're trying though and tomorrow is almost here. Do what you think is best for him.

I probably wouldn't add any fish to this batch of fish. It would be best to wait until they are cured and in the display before getting other fish. I happen to know a Tang guru though who can give you some pointers on what to do about your tang question. @4FordFamily can you help us out with this:
I would wait until the velvet outbreak is taken care of, keep them all in the qt and add the tang quickly. IME you can get away with a month or two if you add the same type of tang they often will accept it. I suspect they're just used to seeing it around. If in doubt, social acclimation box.

Sorry for the situation you're in, too :/

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out Amazon did deliver my Reef Rally! Hippo is looking like the Sailfin did towards the end, but I'm trying. Since they have a brief escape from copper now I'm trying again to feed them. I put 1.5 tsp in about 2.5 gallons.

1477010195104-297538080.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out Amazon did deliver my Reef Rally! Hippo is looking like the Sailfin did towards the end, but I'm trying. Since they have a brief escape from copper now I'm trying again to feed them. I put 1.5 tsp in about 2.5 gallons.

1477010195104-297538080.jpg

Good luck sweetie! I'm rooting for you!

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I supposed to use the Coppersafe for 30 days or 15 days and then relocate to another tank for two weeks of observation? I've read on here about doing it both ways, so I want to make sure I'm doing it the correct way.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I supposed to use the Coppersafe for 30 days or 15 days and then relocate to another tank for two weeks of observation? I've read on here about doing it both ways, so I want to make sure I'm doing it the correct way.

If you treat for 30 days, you can do water changes/run carbon to remove the Cu and then observe in the original treatment tank.

Anything less than that (ex. 2 weeks) requires transfer to a non-medicated holding tank at least 10 feet away from the treatment tank. This method allows no margin for error; copper must have been maintained at therapeutic levels for the entire 2 weeks.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the ideal be 30 days, and only if the fish are not eating do the 2 week option?

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like 2 give everyone a few days to start eating before treating, unless the fish looks horrible 2 begin with then this changes. I feel like if you can get them eating before introducing meds they stand a better shot of making it through.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like 2 give everyone a few days to start eating before treating, unless the fish looks horrible 2 begin with then this changes. I feel like if you can get them eating before introducing meds they stand a better shot of making it through.
I agree unless they show visible symptoms then you're trying to roll a boulder uphill :)

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Scopas is still showing no symptoms. The Yellow tang has started twitching and the breathing is much faster than the Scopas. Would a FW dip help? I'm a little concerned about doing one after the Sailfin didn't take it well. They've been in Coppersafe at therapeutic levels a few days now, but I did give them Reef Rally bath for 70 min last night without copper ( reset my copper clock with today as day one).

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Scopas is still showing no symptoms. The Yellow tang has started twitching and the breathing is much faster than the Scopas. Would a FW dip help? I'm a little concerned about doing one after the Sailfin didn't take it well. They've been in Coppersafe at therapeutic levels a few days now, but I did give them Reef Rally bath for 70 min last night without copper ( reset my copper clock with today as day one).
Zebrasoma IME can be slightlh sensitive to Fw dips but overall I would say that if you lose a fish to a dip then that fish was a goner anyway unfortunately. I don't think it hurts, but it may speed up the inevitable.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, do the dip, and if I loose him blame the disease not the dip. Dip both or only the one showing symptoms?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back