Anything other than ich or velvet?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until the fish are about ready to go into the display tank to do the Rally bath

The whole point of the bath is to help provide relief for the fish before or during copper treatment so the fish can survive long enough for copper to work. Waiting until after will not do much of anything beneficial for the fish.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in the tank seems to be acting normal except the Hippo. She just hangs out at the top doing this. Is this normal? Is it her going downhill from the Velvet or the Copper stressing her out? My copper levels aren't quite up to therapeutic levels.
20161018_114445.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in the tank seems to be acting normal except the Hippo. She just hangs out at the top doing this. Is this normal? Is it her going downhill from the Velvet or the Copper stressing her out? My copper levels aren't quite up to therapeutic levels.
20161018_114445.jpg

She's probably not feeling too hot right now. Have you done a Fresh Water dip on her today? It might help buy some more time for you. Is she breathing real heavy?

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's probably not feeling too hot right now. Have you done a Fresh Water dip on her today? It might help buy some more time for you. Is she breathing real heavy?
She's breathing faster than the others and did not eat. It has been 20 hours since the last dip, should I do it anyway? I don't see any spots on her, but that doesn't give me comfort because she's acting funny.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's breathing faster than the others and did not eat. It has been 20 hours since the last dip, should I do it anyway? I don't see any spots on her, but that doesn't give me comfort because she's acting funny.

Probably be a good idea at this point. I'd rather it be a rally bath, but we must wait on the mail :( Did you say if you have formalin or a product with formalin in it? Something like Quick Cure?

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should keep raising copper levels? I'd say right now it's a 1.0.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the freshwater dip ready. I must say, this is all very depressing :(

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How concerned should I be that the Hippo isn't eating and looks so skinny? Although, it's not like I can make her eat:( She ignored the frozen mysis shrimp.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How concerned should I be that the Hippo isn't eating and looks so skinny? Although, it's not like I can make her eat:( She ignored the frozen mysis shrimp.

A healthy fish can go for up to two weeks without eating. She's obviously not 100% healthy, but I wouldn't worry too much just yet. When you get the Rally in and do the dip, you can try feeding her during that. Copper can make fish lose their appetite, but so can velvet. She's getting it from both sides right now. It's a balancing act of which is worse or which will kill her faster. ya know?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally should be used as a 90 minute bath, not a 5 minute dip.

Yes i know, thanks. I was suggesting that it would be better to do the rally than freshwater. But since he doesn't have it yet, it's a mute point.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin is having swim issues. I've never had that lead to a recovery. Darn!
20161018_172505.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin is having swim issues. I've never had that lead to a recovery. Darn!
20161018_172505.jpg

It's such a fast disease. Were you able to do FW dips today? It's not the best, but it gives you a chance. What level is the copper at?

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone got freshwater dips. I think the copper is past 1.0
I added some about 30 min ago. I'm waiting for it to circulate awhile before rechecking.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone got freshwater dips. I think the copper is past 1.0
I added some about 30 min ago. I'm waiting for it to circulate awhile before rechecking.

OK. I'm sorry man. It sucks. Hold out some hope though, ok?

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at least it swam to where my husband won't see it when he gets home! I'm really not in the mood to hear about my fish from him lol! Thanks for all the encouragement...I need it!

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin is declining. :( I am surprised to see it still alive this morning. My only tool until tomorrow is a freshwater dip, but that seems to be what put this fish over the edge yesterday. Try it or let nature take it's course?
My original plan was to add three Zebrasomas all at once to my display. Assuming the Sailfin doesn't make it, what should I do? It seems illogical to add a replacement to a tank with a known Velvet outbreak, but either way any new fish will need to go through this same qt process. I hesitate to qt the fish I have, add them to display (assuming they pull through), and add another one later because of aggression issues. Thoughts?

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept adding copper, and it didn't seem to be raising it enough. I searched and read I should read results through the top of the tube? Have I added too much?
20161019_094542.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept adding copper, and it didn't seem to be raising it enough. I searched and read I should read results through the top of the tube? Have I added too much?
20161019_094542.jpg

Yes, your supposed to view it from the top. It looks a little dark in the picture but that's probably not the most accurate way to read the test (through a picture I mean). View it from the top down in bright light. If you need to lower it some, you can do that with a small water change.

If you think the sailfin won't make it through another FW dip, then he's probably past saving. I'm sorry to have to say that. It sucks. You're trying though and tomorrow is almost here. Do what you think is best for him.

I probably wouldn't add any fish to this batch of fish. It would be best to wait until they are cured and in the display before getting other fish. I happen to know a Tang guru though who can give you some pointers on what to do about your tang question. @4FordFamily can you help us out with this:
My original plan was to add three Zebrasomas all at once to my display. Assuming the Sailfin doesn't make it, what should I do? It seems illogical to add a replacement to a tank with a known Velvet outbreak, but either way any new fish will need to go through this same qt process. I hesitate to qt the fish I have, add them to display (assuming they pull through), and add another one later because of aggression issues. Thoughts?

Back