Anything other than ich or velvet?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the ideal be 30 days, and only if the fish are not eating do the 2 week option?

There are pros & cons to both methods. Copper is a poison and immunosuppressant, so the longer the fish is in it the greater the likelihood complications could arise. A secondary bacterial infection developing being the most obvious danger.

The way I see it the 14 day treatment method has two big downsides:
  1. Need for a second QT/HT at least 10 feet away from the treatment tank.
  2. No margin for error. You would need to test your Cu level each & every day to ensure it remains therapeutic. If it inches down even slightly, all bets are off.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros & cons to both methods. Copper is a poison and immunosuppressant, so the longer the fish is in it the greater the likelihood complications could arise. A secondary bacterial infection developing being the most obvious danger.

The way I see it the 14 day treatment method has two big downsides:
  1. Need for a second QT/HT at least 10 feet away from the treatment tank.
  2. No margin for error. You would need to test your Cu level each & every day to ensure it remains therapeutic. If it inches down even slightly, all bets are off.
The need for testing daily to make sure the levels never drop would still be necessary for the 30 day treatment as well though, correct? I don't have an objection to testing daily, but since this is my first time using copper I'm not very confident at judging the colors on the test kit.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The need for testing daily to make sure the levels never drop would still be necessary for the 30 day treatment as well though, correct? I don't have an objection to testing daily, but since this is my first time using copper I'm not very confident at judging the colors on the test kit.

It's a very good idea no matter how long you treat with copper, but I'd say it becomes a necessity if treating for less than 30 days. Treating for 30 days (or longer) has a little wiggle room built into it.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a two minute FW dip on the Yellow tang. I shortened it because he was reacting to it much worse than the previous times. So far I haven't seen anymore twitching and the breathing has become normal. Not sure how long this relief will last, but it's got to be better than before.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to I get the remaining two fish to eat? I've tried nori, mysis, and garlic pellets. They both look really thin. The Scopas, which has shown no symptoms, is now going between laying down and just staying upright. The breathing isn't really fast. I considered a FW dip, but I'm wondering if this is from starving rather than the velvet? I think my ammonia keeps creeping up because of all the uneaten food. I've been doing water changes to address that.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the Scopas this evening So, the three new additions have all died. I'm left with the yellow tang that I'd had qt for a month waiting to add to the dt only because I wanted to add him with other tangs at one time. Now, unless I can get him to eat, I'm afraid he's going to slip away too. His stomach is pinched, and I can't remember the last time I saw him eat. I'm so discouraged right now.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very sorry to hear this! :( All you can do is offer the different foods, it's up to him to eat it. Have you tried some live foods? Or maybe you could put a small rock that has algae growing on it in there for him to pick on. You just have to be careful that wherever that rock comes from it doesn't introduce new parasites to the QT. Technically you shouldn't have to worry about it since the copper should kill any ick or velvet that might come off of it. It's worth a shot anyway. How long has he been in copper by now? If it's been two weeks, you could transfer him into a sterile QT without copper, see if he starts eating after that.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could pick some algae I don't want in my dt and see if he goes for it. It's been 6 days because I had to reset my clock when I removed the fish to do a Rally bath for a little over an hour. If I don't need to worry about being out of copper for that short of time, it would be 10 days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could pick some algae I don't want in my dt and see if he goes for it. It's been 6 days because I had to reset my clock when I removed the fish to do a Rally bath for a little over an hour. If I don't need to worry about being out of copper for that short of time, it would be 10 days.

I would count the whole 10 days. I don't know if he can hold out for 4 more days, but it would be a good idea to do the switch into a sterile QT without copper at that point. If you feel like he wont make it 4 more days without eating, then go ahead and do the switch. Hopefully his appetite comes back without the copper making him feel cruddy.

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats what I meant I hate the spell check lol
I have had my hippo tang in this Formalin ms and it dont seem to be working on him I was told hippo tang and sailfin tangs dont do copper well and a blenny in there ...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats what I meant I hate the spell check lol
I have had my hippo tang in this Formalin ms and it dont seem to be working on him I was told hippo tang and sailfin tangs dont do copper well and a blenny in there ...

I keep hippos and sailfins in chelated copper at the store all the time with no problems. All you have to do is raise the copper levels slowly - over the course of 4-5 days -and you shouldn't have any problems. Every fish is different and sometimes a fish that would normally be copper tolerant may show signs of stress and need to be QT'd a different way. I wouldn't keep any fish in formalin for an extended period of time since it's a very harsh med, a carcinogen, and there is some anecdotal evidence that it shortens the life span of a fish treated with it.

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do a big water change and add some carbon to get it out of the tank.. then i will try the copper

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Yellow tang couldn't hang on any longer No one made it. I suspect the last two starved, but maybe the velvet got them. I'm so bummed. Thanks for all the help though. I know velvet is difficult to beat.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Yellow tang couldn't hang on any longer No one made it. I suspect the last two starved, but maybe the velvet got them. I'm so bummed. Thanks for all the help though. I know velvet is difficult to beat.

Sorry to hear this :(

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the plus side of life, thanks to reading a ton on R2R, these fish were in QT and therefore this did not make it to my display. I am very grateful for that.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the plus side of life, thanks to reading a ton on R2R, these fish were in QT and therefore this did not make it to my display. I am very grateful for that.

Hey!! Now that's what I'm talk'n about! Silver linings :D

Back