Anything wrong with my damsel or am I paranoid?

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've got a 65 gallon tank that is 0 ammonia, 2 ppm nitrite and 20 ppm nitrate 1.020 SG, fish drip acclimated, I've been watching the tank and believe it to be pretty much finished cycling as nitrites have tanked. I lost his/her friend weeks ago in the QT (I believe completely unrelated to disease, rookie mistake) so right now it's just the 1 damsel. Been in the display tank 2 days without odd behavior and loves to eat. Didn't medicate essentially except hyposalinity and 2 week observation and saw no flukes. Regardless I'm def upping my QT process to copper and general cure for the next fish.

What I'm worried about is the pale stripe along the scales and some pale coloration, please see attached video.
Am I paranoid since I lost my other damsel?
You tell me , thank you

Attachments

• 20231205_215548.mp4
    49.9 MB

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've got a 65 gallon tank that is 0 ammonia, 2 ppm nitrite and 20 ppm nitrate 1.020 SG, fish drip acclimated, I've been watching the tank and believe it to be pretty much finished cycling as nitrites have tanked. I lost his/her friend weeks ago in the QT (I believe completely unrelated to disease, rookie mistake) so right now it's just the 1 damsel. Been in the display tank 2 days without odd behavior and loves to eat. Didn't medicate essentially except hyposalinity and 2 week observation and saw no flukes. Regardless I'm def upping my QT process to copper and general cure for the next fish.

What I'm worried about is the pale stripe along the scales and some pale coloration, please see attached video.
You tell me , thank you
The white area looks like dinged up scales to me. I would not be particularly worried about that. Give it time; it may improve on its own. I am more concerned about the rapid respiratory rate. Was the fish "freaked out" while you were filming or is the respiratory rate always high?

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I'll have to watch closer. The damsel had just been swimming around a lot eating.

One thing, if nitrites or nitrates are high could that cause rapid breathing? I'm worried now because I'm using strips but color is pretty pale near what I said above.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

You tell me , thank you
Cannot open video but do not mix general cure and copper. Use one or the other in which general cure will be a universal treatment for this type of fish

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. In this case I did not use copper or general cure but I'll take that note

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For extra info, I don't think the white line suddenly appeared. Here's a pic in case video doesn't work

Attachments

• 20231205_215550.jpg
    20231205_215550.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 46

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For extra info, I don't think the white line suddenly appeared. Here's a pic in case video doesn't work

When any new damselfish shows with a vertical line of disrupted scales on its body, you have to consider uronema. It could be damage from being housed with the other damsel, but this fish is also breathing a bit fast. Here is a link to an article about uronema:

Jay

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When any new damselfish shows with a vertical line of disrupted scales on its body, you have to consider uronema. It could be damage from being housed with the other damsel, but this fish is also breathing a bit fast. Here is a link to an article about uronema:

Jay

So this Damsel survived about 4 days in my uncycled display tank from my other post, then another 1.5 weeks in a QT where I medicated maybe 6 days ago. So >2 weeks in my possession since I got it and then now 3 days back in the cycled display tank. No issues since putting it in the QT

So for Nema, wouldn't the fish have been dead weeks ago? Or at least showing some severe symptoms at this point? I'm really hoping it's not Nema since it was originally in the display tank unmedicated..

Thank you all for the help so far

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this Damsel survived about 4 days in my uncycled display tank from my other post, then another 1.5 weeks in a QT where I medicated maybe 6 days ago. So >2 weeks in my possession since I got it and then now 3 days back in the cycled display tank. No issues since putting it in the QT

So for Nema, wouldn't the fish have been dead weeks ago? Or at least showing some severe symptoms at this point? I'm really hoping it's not Nema since it was originally in the display tank unmedicated..

Thank you all for the help so far
Uronema usually shows up within about 40 days of importation.
You’ll know in 48 hours if it is, because it is always fatal and untreatable in internal cases.
Uronema itself is not an obligate parasite, so is not highly contagious.
Jay

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema usually shows up within about 40 days of importation.
You’ll know in 48 hours if it is, because it is always fatal and untreatable in internal cases.
Uronema itself is not an obligate parasite, so is not highly contagious.
Jay
Ok so in this case it's hopefully not Nema phew. I thought if it got in the tank you have to go fallow for months, not true anymore?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so in this case it's hopefully not Nema phew. I thought if it got in the tank you have to go fallow for months, not true anymore?
There is no fallow period for Uronema, that is wrong information.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back