Apartment reef went wild!

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the tank is placed where most people would have built a fireplace. Reef tank wins!

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up the sump tonight. Hopefully get some pics of that and a few other things for eye candy for you guys to see. The Mitras are super clean. I love that thing. Hopefully, I'll have the lights and the tank plumbed this weekend.

The goal of the tank is to have a bonsai garden look to it. Minimalist is the goal! We'll see! I have decided to do mainly SPS and few LPS pieces. I don't want to deal with potential chemical warfare in my tank. LPS has insane color but their structures or grow pattern don't do anything for me. I do like the shape of acanes and gold hammer and etc.

I also want an island of lemon/sunburst/flame anenomes. More pics hopefully this weekend! I'll try to document through pictures instead of words. I think most people look just for that when they flip through build threads. lol

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up the sump tonight. Hopefully get some pics of that and a few other things for eye candy for you guys to see. The Mitras are super clean. I love that thing. Hopefully, I'll have the lights and the tank plumbed this weekend.

The goal of the tank is to have a bonsai garden look to it. Minimalist is the goal! We'll see! I have decided to do mainly SPS and few LPS pieces. I don't want to deal with potential chemical warfare in my tank. LPS has insane color but their structures or grow pattern don't do anything for me. I do like the shape of acanes and gold hammer and etc.

I also want an island of lemon/sunburst/flame anenomes. More pics hopefully this weekend! I'll try to document through pictures instead of words. I think most people look just for that when they flip through build threads. lol

Any updates on this tank? Looks like a sweet build!

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this tank? Looks like a sweet build!

Sorry guys. I'm going to shoot some photos this weekend with the Nikon. Still don't have macro lens yet. The tank has gone through major changes with lighting and etc. I am currently dosing triton elementz and no longer running the Mitras. There are three kessils 360WE plus 2 X 4 bulb sunpower flanking the 3 kessils. This lighting combo is amazing. My SPS are doing fantastic under these lights.

So far my original vision for the tank is coming along very well. I'll get this thread up-to-date soon. I also wanted to use it to document the tank's progress with Triton Elementz. It is still a very unproven method in the USA. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here r some pics that I took with my note 3.

uploadfromtaptalk1423949151694.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1423949164274.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1423949177277.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1423949196284.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1423949222599.jpg

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left Side:
DSC_0294.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0296.JPG
    DSC_0296.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0303.JPG
    DSC_0303.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0312.JPG
    DSC_0312.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0313.JPG
    DSC_0313.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 134
OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Triton Elementz for 3 months now, and things are doing better each day. It's looking like I am completely sold on this methodology. I am still learning about my tank as far as how much nutrients it needs and light intensity.

I am very happy with Kessils + ATI T5's. I ran 4 coral+'s and blue+'s, but recently changed the configuration to 6 blue+'s and 2 coral+'s. I like this combo way more. Everything pops including the fish. My pink lemonade and SunnyX milli are my two favorite pieces right now.

Some of the RR stuff are slowly coloring up and growing. They are very finicky comparing to two SPS corals I mentioned above. It seems like I am getting nearer to that "sweet" spot for my tank. The light spectrum/intensity + nutrients are balanced. I am starting to see faster growth, better colors, and very good PE.

Filtration is done through a SURF 4 and dosing Prodibio bacteria. I dose about 1/4 the recommended amount. I do increase dosages if I see too much algae growth in the display tank. My ATS is growing very green without any need for supplementing iron into the system. It seems like Triton Elementz supplements enough iron for the algae needs.

I messed around with running more white or blue with the lights, but I think I like the tank to be more blue. I run the Kessils at 100% most of the time. The lights are about 8-10 inches above the water line. No burning or any issue with any of my corals. The SunnyX and the Pink Lemonade are both getting a lot of par. They love it.

I am doing my best to keep things as simplistic as possible. No crazy plumbing schematics or anything complex about my system. This is because I am NOT very handle of a person! lol... So I am forced to keep things as simple as possible.

I do like to keep A LOT of fishes. I feed them 4-5 times per day with flakes, pellets, and meaty foods. I love fat and healthy looking fish and lots of them.

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics

Attachments

• DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 131
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0347.JPG
    DSC_0347.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 131
  • DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0432.JPG
    DSC_0432.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0358.JPG
    DSC_0358.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0370.JPG
    DSC_0370.JPG
    901.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0371.JPG
    DSC_0371.JPG
    920.9 KB · Views: 118

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE that little tusk. Great looking tank!

I've had two tusks over the years and they are my favorite fish. One got caught by a big crab I had in my tank and the other went carpet surfing. You've inspired me to shop around for another one (I have a net now and no huge crabs lol).

Deep_Six Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME looking tank! I'm digging that combo of lights. So you have how many kessil's and how many t5 fixtures? Can you give some info on how you hung it all? Looks like you have the kessil's hung in between the t5s.

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME looking tank! I'm digging that combo of lights. So you have how many kessil's and how many t5 fixtures? Can you give some info on how you hung it all? Looks like you have the kessil's hung in between the t5s.
I have 3 X 360we and 2x 4 bulbs 60' ATI. I have the two ATI's flanking the kessils. I tilt the back unit towards the center of the tank to focus the light even more.

This combo has the added bonus for adjustability. I adjust the lights to simulate dawn/dust and midday. The lights are about 10 inches above the water line. The shimmer effect and the color are very unique with this setup. it's hard to descript this. The kessils give out a whitish shimmer during midday so the shimmer stands out. I love the effect on the sand bed and on the corals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back