Apartment reef went wild!

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post on Reef2reef. And this is my first build thread! So be gentle with me haha. Im still a noob to the reefing world. I have been keeping or at least try to keep a reef for the last few years. I did learn A LOT. I am fortunate enough to have good friends that are much further ahead with reef keeping to guide and show me the way. My friend Josh and James (AKA Naka). Naka's tank inspired a lot of people on Reefcentral. When I saw his tank, I was hooked... I knew then that this is the reef that I want for myself.

Anyhow! My tank will be delivered in 40 minutes? Fish Gallery is right down the street from where I live (5 minuts away!).

Tank: 60X35X22 low iron on 3 sides with center overflow. Rimless! Can't do without rimless anymore.

Reef scaping will be done with Vitarock. I am trying something sorta new. Naka has done it with his tank and I love it. I post pics soon! This thread is uselse without pics! I know! haha. So excited.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Settle down people...let Kid have some private time with his new tank before he shares with the world!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...time is up...where are the pics????????????????? :bigsmile:

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140430_105547_zpsb2c5b39d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... There we. Sorry guys! I am such a noob at doing this. But I'll get better at it. Still need ALOT of work. Need to clean the tank up a bit. Still waiting on the sump. This is going to take a while before I even have water and etc in there.

Going to run two Mitras 6200. I'll post pics of all equipment up soon.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it off the wall a bit so you can get behind it if you need to!

Tank looks great, look forward to watching this go. What are your plans for producing water and general maintenence being in apartment? I ask because I have a 150 gallon in a 650 square foot place, and realestate is prime...

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintenance will be easy. My RODI unit is underneath the sink area and it's well within reach to the tank. I'll run the line to the water reservoir when I need to fill it up. It's going to be a 15G custom built by buildinganobsession.com. He's building my sump also. I am hoping to get that tomorrow. We'll see.

Water changes will be easy also. I just drain the water from the tank right out into the parking garage. I have a 30g trash cane nearby the kitchen that I can run a hose to the tank to fill it up. Is there any sort of enviromental issue with me draining saltwater out that way? The drainage is right there also. The water just run to the drainage from there.

As far as filtration, I am using an upflow type ATS by Santa Monica. Skimmer is RO POV DC2. That skimmer looks so sweet. Can't wait until I get it running. Prodibio dosing once every 2 weeks for bacteria filtration.

I will post lots of pics. I think pictures can explain things much better than words.

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now in the process of planning for plumbing and cleaning up old equipment. Will hang Mitras this weekend and hopefully have the tank plumbed.

Btw, this is an AGE tank.. which you can see the tag in 2nd photo. 3/4" low iron glass on all three sides. The stand is also contracted through Fish Gallery. I am very happy with the quality of the stand. Very clean looking. It has side doors (28" wide). This will make maintenance easier.

OP
OP
kidtango

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apartment is 750 sqft... LOL. I have no TV. The living room is practically a fish room. I'm in the process of shopping for furniture. Something modern and comfortable. I can see the tank in almost any spot in the apartment. The first thing people will see when they enter the apartment will be the tank... There's no doubt in anyone's mind where my priorities are. :bigsmile: Well, it's part of my life style and it's a hobby I look forward to grow with. This is a major project for sure. I took great care to not skim on anything. Wish me luck and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back