Apartment RODI

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Beginning to piece together my first reef tank. Want to get ahead of the game and buy a RODI filter, however I am in an apartment with limited space. Ideally, I would like a unit that can fit under a sink for use, either by a T or adapter in a bathroom if necessary. Having not bought a RODI in the past, what brands would fit the bill for this? Compact and worth the $

100 gallon tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
mues

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this and it's worked well for a few years.

It's cost effective if you have a small tank, one downside is the cartridge replacements are about the same cost as a new unit....

I was looking at that, I've edited post now as I didn't mention tank size, but it will be a 100gal

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone that has one of these. Uses Square Buckets on the bottom to hold his RO/DI and Saltwater. Made a bracket for the top, first part of BRS Six Stage is on one side of the bracket, second part on other side.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either in a bathroom under the sink or under the sink in the kitchen, most regular sized RO units should fit fine. May be worth a look at a measure, but the standard 10" canisters have always worked for me.

The T adapter for the cold water line to the 1/4" RO fitting is a surprisingly difficult part to find - most places stock only one if they stock it - but it's available, just may be hard to pick up quickly, locally.

I like using a needle valve for the dirty water line, very easy installation, but since it also pierces the PVC of the drain line, you can get a replacement for the part you piece or just expect to leave the valve closed and in place.

Also good to remember that if you're filling things up manually, you WILL leave it go too long and overflow at least once. Filling up in a place that can take it (shower or bathtub are great) means you won't flood your rental floor.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my RO/DI I had to put a Faucet in for the RO/DI. I replaced the service valve under the sink with a Two port service valve. I did have to shut of the water momentarily, which the OP may not have access too. Also the BRS Unit came with a Faucet Adapter. The waste discharge, can be stuck down the sink drain, no need to tap, which is against codes.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would absolutely NOT recommend one of those itty bitty RODI's for a 100 gallon tank.
It does take a while to make up water, in an apt situation where you're concerned about sticking and RO unit under a cabinet, I would also be concerned with storage of water/mixing components too.... unless you want to spend hours waiting for RO water to be made... then make saltwater, then clean and store the mixing containers.... You're going to want 10 gallons at a time for a water change prepped and ready to go...
You may have another idea so ignore this comment if so!

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second under the bathroom sink. I run a 8 stage (two threes together with a 2 membranes on top)
I run the waste into the sink and put the jugs in the tub. You will forget or get distracted. Even when I set the timer (22 mins/ 5g) I will be elbows deep or in another room.

srawnc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll echo what everyone else has already said. I got the 4-stage RO Buddy from Amazon. Mounted it onto the cabinet door under the sink.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a way of running the todo tubing from under the sink to your top off container you should really try to do that so you can automate everything. I did it in an apartment years ago and have never run a tank without that again. You can have your todo plumbed under your sink and have it controlled by solenoid valves that open and close to refi your top off container and to make more water for water changes.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This works for me, it's by Glamorca:

20220725_181256.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back