Apex 1link cable to ardunio for motor control

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, I am looking to use a 1link cable from my Apex to run 24V to an Arduino and stepper motor controller (Sparkfun EasyDriver). Power itself shouldn't be an issue as the EasyDriver board can source up to 30 volts and will step that down to power the stepper motor as well as the 5v needed for the Arduino.

What I am hoping to do is also have some control to send a signal to the Arduino based on a float switch that will then control the stepper motor. Since the stepper board control can handle the 24v in, does anyone know if there is a way to control the "data" pins on the 1link cable to then use that information programmatically with the Ardunio? Of course, I can just power the board itself on/off but I am ideally looking for constant power to the boards and then controlling the stepper motor via the other 1link pins.

So does anyone know if the 1link sends a signal that can be read by an Arduino?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I've been looking for, thank you. And now back to hacking jebao wavemakers.
When you figure out please share it somewhere! I have a bunch of old wav pumps, some of which will pump when fed power, but none of which communicate over the 1-link so they’re just paperweights. A hack would be great to get these going again or to hook up any other 24vdc pumps that are around the same wattage (35 I think). Nothing I’d be able to do on my own but one could hope others could figure out

iggy2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you figure out please share it somewhere! I have a bunch of old wav pumps, some of which will pump when fed power, but none of which communicate over the 1-link so they’re just paperweights. A hack would be great to get these going again or to hook up any other 24vdc pumps that are around the same wattage (35 I think). Nothing I’d be able to do on my own but one could hope others could figure out

Can't be that much to them. its 24v, return, and a signal wire. im fairly certain the signal is just 0-10, or 0-5.

All I want to do atm is get round the 30% limit on it. It's still a bit too powerful for my tank.

Ooor it may be a 3 phase bldc setup.

I'll need run the pump in a bucket or something because their controllers don't like not being connected :/

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't be that much to them. its 24v, return, and a signal wire. im fairly certain the signal is just 0-10, or 0-5.

All I want to do atm is get round the 30% limit on it. It's still a bit too powerful for my tank.

Ooor it may be a 3 phase bldc setup.

I'll need run the pump in a bucket or something because their controllers don't like not being connected :/
I’m no hacker or anything but there has to be some data protocol involved not just variable voltage. Without the data signal the wavs won’t appear in fusion or run. Something sends back position. Stall I’m sure is current based. I know on the wav pumps I have that are dead and show as a missing module in fusion, that some will operate if I have them disconnected and run power directly to the pump connections. Something internally died that communicates over aquabus.

iggy2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, wires crossed. I've been tinkering with a jebao wave maker, and the controller is a 3 phase bldc job. I thought you were talking about that.

The aquabus stuff is, frankly, a nightmare that should have never existed.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, wires crossed. I've been tinkering with a jebao wave maker, and the controller is a 3 phase bldc job. I thought you were talking about that.

My wires are perma-crossed!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could probably use the dc24 port to power the Jebao and 0-10vdc to control them and not have the extra controller and power brick. Good luck

iggy2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could probably use the dc24 port to power the Jebao and 0-10vdc to control them and not have the extra controller and power brick. Good luck
That's one of my goals. Everything tidied up and running off a single 24v psu.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back