Apex and port forwarding help

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Port forwarding is relatively simple, but how it works will depend upon what receives the port forward. Does the Apex have a local-only mode that doesn't require cloud integration? Are you trying to port forward to access the Apex without relying on the cloud?

If you are trying to use Apex's Fusion service, no port forwarding should be required.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using an apex classic, and want to access using phone or other pc away from home. I have way too many energy bars and such to buy a new apex. Running 3 tanks, and AWC.

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you login to your Linksys, look for port forwarding section. You then need to know the Ip address of your apex, you then need to route port 80 from your linksys. to port 80 on your apex. Should look something like this when done
Service Port Internal Port IP Address Protocol
80 80 x.x.x.x TCP Enabled

x.x.x.x is your apex ip address

If you do not know your apex port you can use the apex network scanner to capture it.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Port forward rules can be added to your routers internal settings. Login into your router, and add the rule... In Port Forwarding you will enter all the info stated above, Ip Addy, Port Ect.
Make sure you save the rule... Below is an example a Verizon Fios Router, but Linkys is pretty easy. It may be in Advanced and Gaming section of Lynksys Router....

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.52.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.53.34 PM.png

Last edited:

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using an apex classic, and want to access using phone or other pc away from home. I have way too many energy bars and such to buy a new apex. Running 3 tanks, and AWC.

A few misunderstandings here to clear up:

1. The Apex Classic can use Apex Fusion. It's free and easy. Just make sure you are on the latest firmware, create an account on ApexFusion.com and link your Apex. Then, download the app or use the browser.

2. The new Apex will work with all your existing gear. You do not need to buy the entire kit either. The Apex base unit is now available separately.

3. Port forwarding on any aquarium controller should generally be avoided. There are many possible ways this can go wrong and compromise your home network.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking port forwarding wasn't needed with fusion, but user was asking how to open a port above. Thanks for clarification Terrance...
Yes opening a hole in your firewall is always risky and dangerous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Port forward rules can be added to your routers internal settings. Login into your router, and add the rule... In Port Forwarding you will enter all the info stated above, Ip Addy, Port Ect.
Make sure you save the rule... Below is an example a Verizon Fios Router, but Linkys is pretty easy. It may be in Advanced and Gaming section of Lynksys Router....

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.52.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.53.34 PM.png
Thanks

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few misunderstandings here to clear up:

1. The Apex Classic can use Apex Fusion. It's free and easy. Just make sure you are on the latest firmware, create an account on ApexFusion.com and link your Apex. Then, download the app or use the browser.

2. The new Apex will work with all your existing gear. You do not need to buy the entire kit either. The Apex base unit is now available separately.

3. Port forwarding on any aquarium controller should generally be avoided. There are many possible ways this can go wrong and compromise your home network.
Ok so I am thinking I my try apex fusion, but I have heard many nightmare stories of trouble when updating. I have not had a minutes trouble with my unit, and have not updated since I got it 4 years ago. I just want to be able to check tank away from home. Thanks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back