Apex Cabinet

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see some ideas for controller and cord maintenance. Ive got mine in my stand and it’s driving me crazy!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nano cabinet. I have 2 inches behind the controller side and 3 inch on the power cord side to coil wires up. Pic was before I cleaned it up a bit and removed tape etc

20181020_144104.jpg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve managed to squeeze my Apex 2016, 2x DOS pumps, FMM and EB6 into my Red Sea Reefer 250 stand. There is ‘just’ enough room for a DOS each side. Cables are kept tidy by stick-on clear cable clips and continuous hook and eye cable tidy.

4bf050d9bf97e20933734c576c609d13.jpg

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve managed to squeeze my Apex 2016, 2x DOS pumps, FMM and EB6 into my Red Sea Reefer 250 stand. There is ‘just’ enough room for a DOS each side. Cables are kept tidy by stick-on clear cable clips and continuous hook and eye cable tidy.

4bf050d9bf97e20933734c576c609d13.jpg
you keep your chiller in your cabinet? where does the heat go?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you keep your chiller in your cabinet? where does the heat go?

It’s not visible in my photo but the RSR cabinet has a compartment on the RHS intended for a chiller. The base of the compartment is rubberised to dampen vibration and the back of the compartment is a large cutout for ventilation. The cutout extends roughly 3/4 the way to the top of the stand.

I also have a dual fan I am about to install to help ventilate the cabinet when the chiller is operating. Initially I am going to control it from a spare outlet in my Apex EB6 based on the tank temperature, but if that doesn’t work well enough I will switch to a thermostatically controlled switch. My Chiller is not controlled by my Apex so I can’t control the fan that way. We are about to move into our summer down under, but last year I had no issues even without the fan. The chiller doesn’t operate all that frequently as when we are home in hot days I have the air conditioning on in the room the tank is in. On very hot days that is left on for the dog when we are out as well - spoilt dog!

Steve1310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super easy to do and when u need to take something out just pop the covers off and pull the cords out

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before:

IMG_1720.JPG

After

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

The cables are neatly (as best as I could) wrapped and secured to the back creating drip cords. This was a cheap nigtstand I picked up at home depot for $44. I replaced the cardboard back:

IMG_1098.JPG

I put an "under the cabinet" LED so I can get light in there as needed.

I have a 5 gal water container hidden to the left, When I get a second wind, I need to move ATO pump and the lines out of the storage bin in the middle to the main shelf and drill holes to run the lines.

I saved the cardboard back and think I might trim it to create a false wall to hide the hardware.

Test kits and other supplies to go in the two lower drawers

Last edited:

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to my local custom cabinet maker and give them my specs and they are going to make me a cabinet that will fit all of my controllers and 2 apex 832 bars.
I should be positing it about in my thread!!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, good idea with a new cabinet, giving me ideas! thx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@tatties , @NS Mike D, - Check it out, I started to do some research on electrical panels for aquariums and I found this available on the market! They make two versions, the single and the deluxe and I myself went with the Deluxe version and grabbed an extra shelves since I will be mounting a lot of Equipment to it. Like my new #ApexEL controller w/ 2 - 832 powerbars plsu all of my Eco-tech Marine controllers and my Reef Octo Regal Protein Skimmer controller AND MY 2 #TUNZE 6055 pwrhead Controllers etc etc. Also, it will hold all of my Power strips or extra cords. everything will be nice and tight! What I REALLY like about these panels is the back b/c that's where you install all of your power strips, your dosing pumps & dosing containers which will be totally hidden but very easy to access.

I have saved me a tremendous amount of time and the headaches trying to source all of the material. This is so much easier for me than a DIY solution. FYI - These Deluxe Panels are not cheap but well worth it to me.....

Make sure you click on my Build thread link and follow along :)

Specifications:
  • Face Size: 25.25" H x 16.25 W
  • Thickness: 3.5"
  • Inside Zip Tie Tracks: 4
  • Inside Shelf: 2
  • Hole size A: 1.25" x 3"
  • Hole size B: 1.25" x 6"
Deluxe Aquarium Controller Board Mounting System with Wireless LEDs
Deluxe-Aquarium-Controller-Board-Mounting-System-with-Wireless-LEDs-Marine-Depot-99.jpg

SIDE VIEW of the Deluxe model:

Deluxe-Aquarium-Controller-Board-Mounting-System-with-Wireless-LEDs-Marine-Depot-97.jpg

Back of the panel for all of your dosing pumps and Dosing containers.
Deluxe-Aquarium-Controller-Board-Mounting-System-with-Wireless-LEDs-Marine-Depot-96.jpg

Last edited:

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the standard version. Its sturdy/well constructed yet easy to drill and cut. Its not super deep so after you mount the standard equipment there's not much room behind the front panel for the power bricks and bundles of power cables. One recommendation I have is to purchase 1 or 2' jumpers from amazon. (C13/5-15P). This will dramatically reduce your cable management effort.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the standard version. Its sturdy/well constructed yet easy to drill and cut. Its not super deep so after you mount the standard equipment there's not much room behind the front panel for the power bricks and bundles of power cables. One recommendation I have is to purchase 1 or 2' jumpers from amazon. (C13/5-15P). This will dramatically reduce your cable management effort.
-----------------------------

@HKAVR45 - Thanks for the heads but that's why I went with the Deluxe version since it's a little bigger and you can mount a lot more gear on the Deluxe vs the Standard size one. So if I bought a few HEAVY DUTY - Featuring an 5-15P Plug to C13 Connector. Rated for 15 Amps and 125V jumper work out?

Something like this?

jumper.PNG

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back