Apex Controller Blank Display

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ralph Bunce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened the box on my Apex Jr controller. I successfully linked to the token and was able to connect it to my network. Following the get started procedure, I downloaded a firmware update and began the install. The install failed and now the display on the controller in blue and blank. What should I do to recover it? I tried rerunning the firmware update but, it doesn’t appear to be connected to the network any longer. I've tried all the power off, unplug and wait and nothing is working. Is there a factory reset button sequence? What other options do I have?

Controller Serial Number: 15230
Display Serial Number: 95727

I do not know the current firmware version.

Also, is there is a support phone number to call? all I can find is a support form and email address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the status color of the Apex Jr?
If the ApexJr is blinking yellow it is bootloader mode and you will need to get the ApexJr to accept the firmware to get to a solid green.

There is factory reset just unplugging the Apex to reboot it.
When you try to update the Firmware what error do you get?

As for contacting support email is the best way to get through to the support department.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also unplug everything , including the Ethernet connection. Then plug the Ethernet first before you hook power to the unit, and try it again.

OP
OP
Ralph Bunce

Ralph Bunce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the status color of the Apex Jr?
If the ApexJr is blinking yellow it is bootloader mode and you will need to get the ApexJr to accept the firmware to get to a solid green.

There is factory reset just unplugging the Apex to reboot it.
When you try to update the Firmware what error do you get?

As for contacting support email is the best way to get through to the support department.

OP
OP
Ralph Bunce

Ralph Bunce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Status light is blinking yellow. Flash update utility error is "Host name or IP address is invalid." I'm an IT guy so I checked my routers DHCP table and there is no entry for the controller. It's definitely stuck in boot loader. I've tried every combo of unplug, wait, plug back in. Nothing seems to have any effect.

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I had the exact same issue I had one of there tech guys log into my apex and he had it fixed in 10 minutes. Just send them an email and they will get back to you within 24 hours.
Nitro

Staggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, my apex display was blank this morning.....got a ticket opened this morning. I was interested in seeing if you had your resolve when I saw this point.

OP
OP
Ralph Bunce

Ralph Bunce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, my apex display was blank this morning.....got a ticket opened this morning. I was interested in seeing if you had your resolve when I saw this point.
The status light was flashing yellow indicating it's stuck in boot loader. I couldn't connect to it through the web interface or through the app on my phone. Im assuming at this point that the flash update I had attempted ended abnormally and caused this. As I mentioned, am an IT guy. So, I logged into my router and checked the DHCP table and noticed the Apex did not register and obtain a new IP address. After rebooting the Apex a million times, I finally rebooted my router and rechecked the DHCP table and low and behold, the Apex pulled a new IP address. So I reran the flash update and life is good again! Long winded and technical reply I know, but hey, that's the story!

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never do any updates through a router. Since you are an i.t. guy you know how to configure a connection directly to the apex with dhcp turned off. Makes life a ton easier.
I have not had a stuck in bootloader error since doing this. I went back to old school and it just works.

OP
OP
Ralph Bunce

Ralph Bunce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never do any updates through a router. Since you are an i.t. guy you know how to configure a connection directly to the apex with dhcp turned off. Makes life a ton easier.
I have not had a stuck in bootloader error since doing this. I went back to old school and it just works.
How so you connect your Apex to the web to download firmware if not connected through a router? (And yes, I've already turned off DHCP on the Apex set it up a static IP address!) [emoji1303]

OP
OP
Ralph Bunce

Ralph Bunce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so you connect your Apex to the web to download firmware if not connected through a router? (And yes, I've already turned off DHCP on the Apex set it up a static IP address!) [emoji1303]
I think I know what you mean though. No DHCP!! Good call!

OP
OP
Ralph Bunce

Ralph Bunce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DHCP no good!

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You set up a lan connection I think it is called. Plug your ethernet cable from a laptop directly to the apex. Configure your connection 192.168.1.(anything other than your apex's IP) generally .1 or 2. 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1
Then use the updater. You can add the ip and log in credentials or browse for it.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issues a few weeks ago here is what the sent me worked like a champ

I'm sorry to hear that your Apex. Flashing orange light means either your firmware and/or current configuration may have been corrupted. You'll need to attempt to reload the firmware to get it to a stable green light again.

To do this you'll need our firmware. Download that first.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware/

Follow this procedure(Windows):
Power your Apex off Restart your computer in Windows safe mode with networking
Turn off any virus or firewall software Disable your wireless card Ensure you connect your computer to your internet through hardwired cable connection
Open the Firmware Update Program
In the 'Network address' field put something similar to your default gateway (router) IP address. Click here for Help For example, if you default gateway is 192.168.1.1 then make the network address 192.168.1.88 Click Update Firmware After failed attempt 1 you should see an ARP Entry. Example Here
plug your Apex in Apex and computer should make a handshake at this time, if not try to power cycle your base unit again Then click the 'Magnifying Glass Button' and select the APEX listed and press OK.
Update the web pages next.

If you are unable to accomplish the firmware update, then there are further trouble shooting options. Please let me know how it goes.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

gmcc14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issues a few weeks ago here is what the sent me worked like a champ

I'm sorry to hear that your Apex. Flashing orange light means either your firmware and/or current configuration may have been corrupted. You'll need to attempt to reload the firmware to get it to a stable green light again.

To do this you'll need our firmware. Download that first.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware/

Follow this procedure(Windows):
Power your Apex off Restart your computer in Windows safe mode with networking
Turn off any virus or firewall software Disable your wireless card Ensure you connect your computer to your internet through hardwired cable connection
Open the Firmware Update Program
In the 'Network address' field put something similar to your default gateway (router) IP address. Click here for Help For example, if you default gateway is 192.168.1.1 then make the network address 192.168.1.88 Click Update Firmware After failed attempt 1 you should see an ARP Entry. Example Here
plug your Apex in Apex and computer should make a handshake at this time, if not try to power cycle your base unit again Then click the 'Magnifying Glass Button' and select the APEX listed and press OK.
Update the web pages next.

If you are unable to accomplish the firmware update, then there are further trouble shooting options. Please let me know how it goes.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

I just spent the last two hours battling to update my apex firmware with no success. I was ready to quit when I thought let me check reef to reef. I came across this post and followed the steps and was up and running in 5 minutes! Thanks everyone (especially cowboy) for taking the time to post, your effort helped a fellow reefer today immensely. Thank goodness for R2R!!!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back