Apex Controller help

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple days ago I purchased the wireless Apex controller on my Red Sea 525 build, I installed it and it worked great the first couple of days however yesterday I kept getting a notification saying

Apex Fusion Power Issue: Apex
Failed: Date/Time
Restored: Date/Time

When this has happens pretty much everything on the tank shuts down RP/Skimmer/Heater. I noticed that the Bus and the power strip are blinking yellow. Does anyone know if this means I need to update the unit? I did see that there's an update and my internet has been shotty lately however, I find it hard to believe that the unit would natively shutdown my components in the event that it loses internet connection right? do I have a couple issues here causing this?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple days ago I purchased the wireless Apex controller on my Red Sea 525 build, I installed it and it worked great the first couple of days however yesterday I kept getting a notification saying

Apex Fusion Power Issue: Apex
Failed: Date/Time
Restored: Date/Time

When this has happens pretty much everything on the tank shuts down RP/Skimmer/Heater. I noticed that the Bus and the power strip are blinking yellow. Does anyone know if this means I need to update the unit? I did see that there's an update and my internet has been shotty lately however, I find it hard to believe that the unit would natively shutdown my components in the event that it loses internet connection right? do I have a couple issues here causing this?

Since it's a new unit I would call Neptune directly and ASAP. That is the message I get when the Apex loses power and then comes back on. In my case, everything comes back up correctly though. Has the house lost power or do you have sketchy power to begin with? That doesn't sound normal though but you'll have more luck getting a detailed answer from Neptune directly.

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a new unit I would call Neptune directly and ASAP. That is the message I get when the Apex loses power and then comes back on. In my case, everything comes back up correctly though. Has the house lost power or do you have sketchy power to begin with? That doesn't sound normal though but you'll have more luck getting a detailed answer from Neptune directly.
I've never had any issues with power, I've been running a 50 cube for over 4 years in the house which the 525 is replacing and not once have I had a power outage or any power issues. I filled out the support form with Apex and got a support ticket so I guess now I wait to see what they say. Sucks that my first experience with such an expensive controller gets off to a bad start smh, In just a couple days I've already had issues with the conductivity probe as well.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any issues with power, I've been running a 50 cube for over 4 years in the house which the 525 is replacing and not once have I had a power outage or any power issues. I filled out the support form with Apex and got a support ticket so I guess now I wait to see what they say. Sucks that my first experience with such an expensive controller gets off to a bad start smh, In just a couple days I've already had issues with the conductivity probe as well.

Sorry to hear that. I've been running either an Apex Jr or now 'Classic' Apex since 2010 and have never had any issue. I do remember some hiccups when the 'New' Apex was released but thought they largely had those ironed out. I actually ordered the new one on Black Friday for my 220 so we'll see how it goes. Does Neptune not have a phone number to call?

Does your Apex ever recover and then operate normally after it claims a power outage?

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue. Apparently the apex will do this when it is having network issues. Give a call to neptune and they will help you priblem solve

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled out the support form this morning and have already gotten a reply from their support to add them as a manager on my fusion acct. Apparently im on a really old firmware so both components need updating, that's all they said regarding the problem so maybe that will fix things...hopefully! I'm pleased Apex responded so fast.

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- I put the latest firmware on the system but it didn't fix my issue with the controller shutting down the tank, unfortunately I got woken up at 4am again to the sound of my overflow gurgling after being shutdown. I have to admit this Apex controller seems to be a terribly expensive liability that i've added. I'm hoping there's better days ahead soon cause that's a huge price to pay for what is currently nothing more than a faulty power strip that I have zero confidence in plugging my components into.

Codemonkey812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the Apex wirelessly, or wired? The Apex will reboot when it has issues connecting to the internet. I was having similar issues and had to reboot my router and cable modem.

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the Apex wirelessly, or wired? The Apex will reboot when it has issues connecting to the internet. I was having similar issues and had to reboot my router and cable modem.
I indeed have the wireless version and have rebooted both the apex and my router a number of times with no success. It went from being sporadic in terms of working to as of yesterday completely down permanently with blinking orange lights on both units. Apex has been of little help as they only work Mon-Fri closing at 5pm which are my hours at work and they require me to be at the tank when troubleshooting according to them. Yesterday I took off work a little early to make it home in time for a scheduled call with them to troubleshoot only to find out they couldn't do anything for me because I don't have a desktop/laptop. That ticked me off because well before that I informed them that I don't use a laptop nor desktop at home, this was through email while scheduling the tech to call me.

sunnyc90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read somewhere that the new Apex 2016 models have issues loosing wifi connections causing a whole bunch of random issues until rebooted. I have experienced it a couple of times before with my ATK not topping off the water when my sump level was low. Problem was gone once I put in on a wired connection via a wireless access point.

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to look at the programming such as your fall back settings if you have them all on fallback off when u have network issues it shuts down all those outlets

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the new apex at first had many network issues after firmware updates on my router and apex I have not had a one disconnect in over 7 months

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

I'm writing this post just to let you know you are not alone with weird Apex issues. I have the Apex (2016) which worked flawlessly in wireless mode for 16 months. Now, after 16 months it has begun dropping the internet connection frequently, sometimes in excess of 500 times per day. Neptune Systems Technical Support and I have been exchanging e-mails for 17 days now in order to troubleshoot this problem with no resolution to date. I've always updated to both latest firmware and software as soon as available. Efforts to resolve this connectivity issue to date are as follows: I've changed from wireless connection to hardwire connection via ethernet cable. I've had my ISP (AT&T U-Verse) tech support out to the house several times. They've replaced the modem/router, rebuilt the junction at the V-Rad at the end of our road, changed wire pair at the box servicing our home so they've pretty much eliminated anything to do with their hardware as being the root of the problem. Their metering shows we've got healthy internet service and none of our computers, iPad, and Apple TV have any connectivity issues whatsoever. Neptune Systems has been working diligently to get to the bottom of this and I am grateful for their assistance to date. They voluntarily replaced my original Apex for a new one with no improvement in connection stability. They've found some corrupted data on the Apex and cleaned that up remotely (I've given them access to my Apex with Manager status). So we'll continue to troubleshoot but in the meantime I've had to unplug all equipment from the Energy Bar since the Apex is completely unreliable at this point. It does reconnect itself to the internet many, many, many times but all of a sudden it stops reconnecting and then nothing is controlled as it should be. I've had several 2 degree F drops in tank temp before I caught the fact that Apex had failed to turn the heaters on. My livestock has survived but it is accustomed to +/- 1/10th degree swings, not 2 degrees. Until we get this connectivity issue resolved I've resigned myself to using a standard power strip and individual equipment controllers where I have them. I'll continue to be patient and work through this with Neptune's support personnel and I'm fairly confident we'll get it resolved eventually. But, in the meantime, frustration does run high sometimes and I have to remind myself that 'old school' still works when needed... and I still remember how it's done. It'll be great when the Apex is back up and running reliably. That's for sure!

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back with an updated situation report. This morning Neptune Support called to say they've been reviewing more reports from my Apex (I added Neptune Support to authorizations list with 'Manage' status on my Apex weeks ago). They have definitively identified the issue as being a hardware problem within the Apex Base Unit (which was shipped to me, and received on Dec.22,2017, as a replacement for my original unit). So they've initiated a second Cross Ship (swap) transaction and I should have another reconditioned unit in a few days. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. Time will tell. Neptune Support has definitely stuck with me to resolve this issue. While it has taken more time than any of us would have liked, patience and persistence will hopefully bring this to a happy conclusion for all parties concerned.

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cautiously optimistic report today. The latest Base Unit that Neptune Systems sent to me has now been running (hardwired and DHCP enabled) without a dropped connection to Fusion for approximately 72 hours. All aquarium equipment is plugged into the EB832 and operating as programmed. If this continues, it seems most likely that the root cause of the dropped connection issue resided within the Apex Base Units themselves. However, if this Base Unit begins to drop connection to Fusion then the root cause is back in question. In the meantime, it sure is great to have the Apex back again! "Thank you" Neptune Systems Support for hanging in there until this problem was resolved. Also, R2R is a great place to share information or to look for assistance from other reefers. My "thanks" to everyone who contributes. One other thing, for Apex specific issues, Neptune Systems Community forum is a great place to find help. You can find it at https://forum.neptunesystems.com. Best regards to all.

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my final update re. the dropped connection issues I began writing about on Dec. 29, 2017 - just to close the loop. It is now June 2018 and the Apex has been running flawlessly, in wireless mode, since late January 2018. Neptune Systems Customer Support team hung in there like a champ and resolved the problem 100%. I have found them to be good folks to work with. I'm now in the process of adding the DOS and probably the DDR for 2-Part. I'm glad I purchased, and stuck with, the Apex 2016. Cheers!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tech support people and the folks on the Form ( particurlary Zoombie are great people)

Back