Apex Controller Newb Questions

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the right brand and modell to use webcam with Apex to see your aquarium from outside

There isn't just one brand. Also it needs to be an IP camera, not a webcam that plugs into your computer. People have managed to get it working with various ip cameras. It usually involves a bit of network configuration, including setting a static ip for the cam, setting up port forwarding in your router, and subscribing to a ddns service if you really want it to work all the time. Also, you may need to configure the settings of the camera itself, so that it outputs a video stream that Apex Fusion can use in a browser. And you'll have to figure out the right URL to get the camera to respond properly; most camera makers don't include this information in setup guides so you have to find it online. This site is useful for figuring out the camera command: http://www.ispyconnect.com/sources.aspx Also, many ip cams require a signin username and password, but Fusion isn't set up to handle this directly; you can actually put the username and pw directly into the URL and most browsers will handle this properly, but then anyone at all who accesses the cam can easily find that info, which may or may not bother you. The whole thing can be a tricky process.

All that said, I did get mine working with this IP camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145OQTPG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There are less expensive ones that will work with Apex but I wanted the pan/zoom and I was pretty sure I could get this one to work before I bought it, because it offers a second video stream of motion JPEG which is more likely to work without problems or use up excessive bandwidth.

Clipboard01b.jpg

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice setup!! I'm seriously considering an IP camera and this may have pushed me over the edge, hah.

I picked up an Arlo on sale last black Friday, and it's fine, but the batteries are a PITA, it's obviously not compatible and I had other intentions of it before I started using it on my tank.

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay have another question...

Heater is in plug 4. It set to on at 76 and off at 78. Fusion is showing no power on the Heather plug and tank temp is down to 73.4! One I hope it does not kill the tank. 2 why does it seem like the heater poet is not putting out any power? Even switched it form auto to on and still no output. Heater seems fine and worked fine before switching to Apex.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay have another question...

Heater is in plug 4. It set to on at 76 and off at 78. Fusion is showing no power on the Heather plug and tank temp is down to 73.4! One I hope it does not kill the tank. 2 why does it seem like the heater poet is not putting out any power? Even switched it form auto to on and still no output. Heater seems fine and worked fine before switching to Apex.

Please copy and paste your heater programming code so we can take a look and make sure it's ok. Then make sure that you've got the heater code actually controlling outlet 4 on the energy bar (seems obvious but people make this mistake.) If that's set up correctly, and switching the heater tile ON doesn't activate the physical outlet, it could be a problem with that outlet itself. Transfer your heater programming to a different outlet and plug the heater in to that for now; if the heater then works correctly, something is wrong with your outlet 4.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - make sure when you turn the outlet on your heater actually comes on
2 - is there a thermostat on your heater? make sure it is turned up to 78-80
3 - I recommend that if you need a heater on your tank you get 2 instead. They are a huge point of failure.

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes have two. Came home, called Apex and they walked me through it and also set up the second heater for me! Temps rising as we speak...

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He remotes in and I think it was something in a setting. Not 100% sure we fixed it but it is going in the right direction.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 158 62.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.3%
Back