Apex Controller Newb Questions

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay picked up a used Apex Controller for the display tank. I have had it a couple months and finally had time to try and get it up and running. I am sure I will have a bunch of questions but I have 2 simple ones now....

I have it setup on my phone but how do I see it when I am away from the house? It won't come up in my phone out of wifi range.

Second is there any way to change the background on the dashboard? In the advertisements you see the nice black backgrounds but all I see is that crappy orange color...

Thanks for helping a Newb. Google was not much help.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to link your Apex to Fusion to see it out of your own WiFi range. There is a walk through of that process in the getting started manual. You will want to get the Fusion app on your phone.

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay downloaded the app but could not get it to do anything. I have been getting it tonoull up by putting in the ip in the url.

So the fusion app is the key?

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to link your Apex brain to Fusion. The Fusion app can then be used to interact with your Apex from anywhere in the world... but only once you link your Apex to Fusion following the instructions in the startup guide.

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay going through it now. I am at the token deal. When I go back into the dashboard to get the token it says it is already linked? How can it be linked if I have not linked It? How do I get a new token?

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually call Apex and had to do a hard reset on the system.

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think so. Thank you all for the help.

Guessing we are stuck with the orange background?

Now just have to start connecting the tank to the APEX and hope for the best.

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have another question...

We need to calibrate the salinity, PH, and ORP probes. Does anyone have a link to what we need to get to calibrate all three of these? I know there is a solution but I can't seem to find it.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Apex Club, hah :)

Which Apex do you have or did I miss this? 2016?

There is no calibration required for ORP, just drop it in the tank and let it adjust for a week or so. Once it tracks inverse to pH, it's good to go.

pH calibration solution here:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/milwaukee-ph-calibration-fluid-single-use-packet.html

You need 7 and 10.

Salinity here:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/neptune-systems-conductivity-calibration-solution-53-0-ms.html

YOU HAVE TO USE THIS ONE. Do not get the refractometer one, even though it looks bigger and cheaper. It's super important you use this one :)

Any problems? Let me know!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t read the big manual yet, I’d take a look at it. It shows you how to do everything and gets you started on writing formulas for your outlets. Good luck!

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Apex Club, hah :)

Which Apex do you have or did I miss this? 2016?

There is no calibration required for ORP, just drop it in the tank and let it adjust for a week or so. Once it tracks inverse to pH, it's good to go.

pH calibration solution here:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/milwaukee-ph-calibration-fluid-single-use-packet.html

You need 7 and 10.

Salinity here:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/neptune-systems-conductivity-calibration-solution-53-0-ms.html

YOU HAVE TO USE THIS ONE. Do not get the refractometer one, even though it looks bigger and cheaper. It's super important you use this one :)

Any problems? Let me know!

Yes sorry. It is a 2016 with the new update. I will add the ORP tonight then and disconnect the salinity till I can get it calibrated. Thank you for the links! I will get that ordered as well!

If you haven’t read the big manual yet, I’d take a look at it. It shows you how to do everything and gets you started on writing formulas for your outlets. Good luck!

I have read most of it. Just finding the time to sit down and go through it all.

Now... at the shop and checked Fusion and my tank is disconnected... great!

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't help you with network issues, that's way outside of my pay grade.

But for the salinity probe, I'd let it go and just not believe it until after its calibrated. No harm in that.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had luck with the phone app, but the web page works fine from my phone. Occasionally mine disconnects, I think its dependent on where it is located compared to your router. But mine usually is back on in about 5 minutes.

I also calibrated my salinity probe to my tank rather than the calibration fluids. The fliuds should have come with your apex if you bought it new. I got my tank to 78, got my salinity to 35 ppm per my Milwaukee, and then calibrated the probe. The two still don't match, but they are close enough to know if my ATO is stuck on or something like that. The apex probe is conductivity, not salinity, so they measure differently than a refractometer. I would not trust it for accurate measurements like water changes, just for trends.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had luck with the phone app, but the web page works fine from my phone. Occasionally mine disconnects, I think its dependent on where it is located compared to your router. But mine usually is back on in about 5 minutes.

Hmm, are you using the new Apex Fusion phone app or the older one? If you can connect to the web page, you should have no problem connecting via app.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, are you using the new Apex Fusion phone app or the older one? If you can connect to the web page, you should have no problem connecting via app.
I have Andriod and am using the latest - that is listed as beta. All I get is a splash screen and a link to support resources. I don't see a way to connect to my apex?

llutin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the right brand and modell to use webcam with Apex to see your aquarium from outside

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Andriod and am using the latest - that is listed as beta. All I get is a splash screen and a link to support resources. I don't see a way to connect to my apex?
Don't feel bad, I just connected my Apex as well and downloaded the same App for my Android.

Certainly didn't see an Apex Fusion anywhere on the play store.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back