Apex Controller user question with Tunze ATO

  • Thread starter Thread starter CaptClay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CaptClay

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2026
Messages
55
Reaction score
84
Location
Pensacola
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex controller question.
Equipment involved:
• Apex Controller
• Tunze ATO
• MP40s
• Jebao return pump
• Protein skimmer
When I use Feed Mode on the Apex, I have it set to turn off the skimmer, MP40s, and return pump. Once everything shuts down, the sump fills with water from the display (as expected). But then the Tunze ATO high‑water alarm goes off — also expected, but annoying.
I’ve also tried programming the ATO to turn off during Feed Mode. The problem is: every time the Tunze ATO turns back on, it insists on pumping ATO water even if the water level is already correct. No idea why Tunze designed it that way.
Is there a better way to run Feed Mode so the ATO alarm doesn’t sound the whole time?
 
Following this, I had some weird issues with my ATO on my apex
 
Disable the tunze alarm altogether. Open the controller and move the jumper.
 
It pumps very little water in when turned back on.

In 21 years of doing this, I never turn any flow off to feed. If I’m feeding the corals directly (almost never) then I will turn off powerheads but not the return pump. I see no reason to
 
As mentioned, turn off that alarm or find the amount of time it takes the system to equalize, balance, and then turn back on the ATO.
 
In 21 years of doing this, I never turn any flow off to feed. If I’m feeding the corals directly (almost never) then I will turn off powerheads but not the return pump. I see no reason to

Just because you see no reason to doesn't mean there isn't one.
 
Just because you see no reason to doesn't mean there isn't one.

Dumb And Dumber Thats Cool GIF
 
It pumps very little water in when turned back on.

In 21 years of doing this, I never turn any flow off to feed. If I’m feeding the corals directly (almost never) then I will turn off powerheads but not the return pump. I see no reason to
I don't notice a difference in feeding with the pumps on or off myself either. If they're missing the food that's my que to feed less at once.
Where I do notice a difference is feeding corals but cutting the powerheads while leaving the return on is enough to get the job done
 
It pumps very little water in when turned back on.

In 21 years of doing this, I never turn any flow off to feed. If I’m feeding the corals directly (almost never) then I will turn off powerheads but not the return pump. I see no reason to
I agree. i didnt either but i have two small clowns, getting used to the tank. Otherwise i would leave everything on.
 
Still alarms
There should be two jumpers iirc, one for the pump power setting and the other for the alarm setting. There should be three alarm settings, instant, 10 minute delay, or completely off. Are you certain you selected off? Which model do you have, maybe it’s different than how I’m remembering mine was, maybe I’m just having a senior moment….
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new