Apex conversion to GHL

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my counterpoint, do you think GHL is looking into and coming up with a better option to the software? The software doesn't cause tank crashes, hardware issue's do...HMMM. I would give GHL some time to better the software. I am not being payed by GHL, as I am just a reefer like you and everyone else. I just understand that issue come up and they need time to be resolved. I am simply trying to give reefers the correct option to choose, nothing more. :)
I have no reason to believe one way or the other. I agree, the hardware is most important (same reason I sold my apex). However, I HATE using my GHL gear. It just feels bad and I paid a lot $$ for it. If they come out with a great new user experience in the future, GHL will fly off the shelves, and I will be first in line. Let’s hope.

Nathan80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider going for the stand alone dosers - there's not a lot in it price wise when you stack it all up and it means you don't have to have the profilux to run them. It means if you ever upgrade to say a calcium reactor it will make it easier to re-sell the doser on its own if you need to.

I ordered my GHL last week and went for SA dosers (just need to wait a few weeks for the Ion director annoyingly). I run several tanks and am not convinced by the Apex - as you've said, certain niggly things.

I've also got a Mastertronic on the way, I'm interested to see from a monitoring point of view how the 3 compare with each other. I have a hunch which order they'll end up in but need to see if I'm right lol!

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Billldg - You do not need a windows PC to set it up. I have done the setups using both an android and iPhone without any issues. I did a YouTube video of me setting up an LX7206 on my YouTube channel and the GHL knowledge base shows also step by step setup using the GHL connect app.

For example: (LX setup with my phone)

A windows operating system is required for firmware upgrades only for now. Windows PC, a MacBook with a Windows Virtual Desktop on it , with a free USB port. I have been doing mine with a Windows Surface but help user with MacBooks also.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Billldg - You do not need a windows PC to set it up. I have done the setups using both an android and iPhone without any issues. I did a YouTube video of me setting up an LX7206 on my YouTube channel and the GHL knowledge base shows also step by step setup using the GHL connect app.

The windows machine is required for firmware upgrades only for now.

Do you get stuck where you have to update firmware to add a product?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored - Yes, when the ION and KH for example came out we had to update our firmware to enable the features of the devices.

The Wifi Firmware and Webpage updates do not require a PC thou and can be done through the web interface, and suggest keeping those up to date.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hopefully will have the ProfiLux 4 Mega set and the KH Director by Friday. If that's the case then I see myself being busy this weekend installing it. I will do a down a dirty install initially, until I figure out how I want to mount it, and get the materials together. I really can't wait for the IOND to be shipped, that's what I am geeking out about. I am about as impatient of a person as they come, BUT, I understand the delays as its not just GHL dealing with some type of delay. Have you noticed that most car dealerships in the US have low inventory, its because of the massive delays in computer chips. So the longer I have to wait, the more I will geek out over it when it shows up.

Let the FUN BEGIN!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After testing to see if a 4 fan setup would keep my new tank, which seems to running hotter as it is using a much bigger skimmer and 2 return pumps, I just ordered the GHL PropellerControl-2.1 and will soon order either a 4 or 5 fan setup. It just depends on how much space I want to tank up in the sump area.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never liked putting the controller equipment, aka electronics, in the stand as its a high humidity area and it can create problems. I currently have a stand for my Apex equipment, and I will do the same for the GHL equipment. I think I may have a winner. I will modify this one a little to really make it POP, meaning modify the shelving and blank covers and such.

1624054123374.png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HMMM, I guess I will not be setting up the GHL this weekend because, WELL, Fedex is Fedex in that they are not very reliable. The package was checked into a Fedex location that is 25 miles from me Thursday, and yet no delivery as of Friday 20:28. I called and they said that it will get there within another 2 days. UGH!!!

Is it FedEx...or FedUP!!!

For the record, they are only 2 states over. Actually, they are not even that as NC and GA meet.

Sorry, but shipping delays IRK me as I have lost livestock before from FedEx and UPS.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, look what showed up today. I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow, lol! I also have in transit another PowerBar and a propellarController, along with a few other items. I currently have a bunch of items in the GHL USA site cart waiting for me to buy, I just need to get paid, LOL!!!

20210619_155113.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the process of setting up and calibrating my new GHL ProfiLux 4. I will post pics and give my first comparison and review in a bit. I will have to say that I really digging the GHL P4, after the issues with setting it up, LOL!!! I had issues with my Apex as well, so don't jump to conclusions. ;) :)

Its all about learning a new controller and the way things are done.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my first picture though

Screenshot (86).png

I have already calibrated my PH probe, and now I am floating the solution in my DT, and will calibrate the salinity probe next.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, while I am waiting on the temp of the calibration solution to match my DT temp, I am start the comparison between Apex and GHL. First and foremost, this will be an honest comparison between the 2. I have not had any big issues with Apex, so that is not why I changed. I like the idea of the IOND and that is what got me thinking of switching. When I reached out to GHL the asked me not to bad mouth any company as that is not how they do things. Much respect there. They want the truth, as it will allow them to get better. I have had a full complex Apex system for roughly 2 years, and never had a failure of the main components, no issues with energy bars, bricking a Apex, and such. I am simply trying to give reefers out there that are looking to take the next step in reefing by purchasing a very expensive piece of equipment some incite. That being said, lets get the comparison started. :eek: :cool::p

First thing, LOOKS.

I am sorry, but the GHL just simply looks sexy with is stack ability. It is clean looking and you can do much more with it. This really means nothing, but in the USA we look at esthetics, so score one to GHL. Apex 0 GHL 1

20210620_170011.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second, and now we are starting to get down to the nitty gritty, comparison is the connectivity. I had a hard time getting the GHL connected via the Wifi. This could have been because I am used to the was Apex connects, but it still seemed a little complex to get the GHL connected. The complexity is due to the 3 different ways you can connect. You can connect via your mobile device, you PC, and USB. I choose the USB way as I was instructed by a friend that it would be easier if I needed to update the firmware. That connection was very easy and straight forward. I had it connected within a few minutes. The issues came with the Wifi connection. I am not used to having to assign IP addresses to things, and having the computer assign even more, thus the major confusion as I wasn't able to get it to work for good while. Eventually I figured out that I needed to assign the IP address that I assigned it originally to everything, and thus, was able to get it to work. Here is the counter argument, I also had issues with Apex as they are Apple driven and engineered. I don't use, nor own a Apple device and never will. So I had to jump thru hoops to get it connected to my network.

So I will call this comparison a wash, meaning no one wins.

Apex 0 GHL 1

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now lets compare the interface. I think this go's without saying, the Apex Fusion is very easy to navigate. I am sure that I will learn to easily navigate the GHL page, but I still have to give this to Apex.

Apex 1 GHL 1

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I am calibrating the probes, I can give my initial assessment of them. The first thing I notice with the difference between the Apex probes and the GHL probes is the difference in build quality. The GHL probes seem very heavy and sturdy while the Apex probes seem light and fragile. I have personally broken a Apex salinity probe simply by taping it in the side on my mixing container, thus throwing away $125. Calibrating the GHL probes was very easy, but since I have no data on the longevity of the calibration, I will have to give GHL only a half a point.

Apex 1 GHL 1.5

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back