Apex display module possibly burnt?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
3,433
Reaction score
2,433
Location
Haverhill, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex was locking up the other day and I diagnosed it to the display module. I unplugged it and everything started working.

When I plugged it back in, everything was frozen again. The screen backlight was on, but no data displayed.

I plugged it in today and it was magically working. Another member said he found a broken wire on his, so I took mine apart to test. I found this where the harness connects to the board.

This doesn't look right to me. Is it Flux? Is it burnt?

I'll probably clean it up and resolder it. I'm thinking I found the problem.

IMG_20221027_204148.jpg
 
My Apex was locking up the other day and I diagnosed it to the display module. I unplugged it and everything started working.

When I plugged it back in, everything was frozen again. The screen backlight was on, but no data displayed.

I plugged it in today and it was magically working. Another member said he found a broken wire on his, so I took mine apart to test. I found this where the harness connects to the board.

This doesn't look right to me. Is it Flux? Is it burnt?

I'll probably clean it up and resolder it. I'm thinking I found the problem.

IMG_20221027_204148.jpg
Looks like a moisture issue
You can try resolver and cleaning
 
If it is a moisture issue, it's literally the only Apex component outside of the cabinet.
Yeah… humidity rather than direct wet. These displays often have wire issues which is the solder in many cases
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new