Apex Display OR Tablet for New Apex, Which do you use?

Apex Display or Tablet?

• Total voters

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Crestron controls in my home theatre for over a decade, but it's been a big hassle getting it reprogrammed for new gear.
Apple for example doesn't have anything on Crestron as far as tightly controlling their ecosystem.
Or at least, that used to be the case. I haven't upgraded anything in a couple of years.
are you using an iPad as your control surface for the theater or a Crestron touchpanel or remote?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use both. I needed display to set up the apex. Now I use the fire. Only complaint I have with fire is the screen goes black after 40 seconds or so. Wish it stayed on longer or even all the time

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I rebooted my fire tablet. I did a hard reset and I used the silk browser instead of the dolphin. It's working great and fast now. The address bar disappears and reappears when scrolling. Not a deal breaker for me. If you are having trouble with your fire tab, do a hard reset and then go do all the updates for the operating system. I had 11 updates I had to do. You ahve to keep clicking update and run each update. It took my about 45mins to get through all of them. Then give silk browser a try.

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
So for anyone still following, I ended up going with one of the Microsoft Surface 2 Tablet I had laying around. I had bought around 6 of them from a lot auction at one time and they mainly just sit. It’s working perfect for this though. Because it’s a Windows tablet with basically a full version of Windows I can switch back and forth between desktop and tablet mode. In tablet mode the fusion home screen fits perfectly on the screen. I can easily grab it and make any changes needed as well.
f0a4cae3b6e946341327e14587f40229.jpg

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I bought a fire tablet to use as a display but couldn’t figure out how to get it set up... been sitting on a shelf since, waste of money. Would gladly pay for a elegant solution that didn’t involve hacking my equipment, downloading third party software, and bypassing security to get it to work.

Have you tried just using the web browser on the fire tablet, to access fusion?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do Crestron, control4, lutron, savant, etc. Hands down Crestron wins every time. We can do way more with Crestron than with any of the other systems. Plus Crestron stands behind their products! If people are complaining about Crestron, it is because they haven't had the right guy programming.

+1 for this! I’ve been a Crestron integrator (commercial/federal) for over 25 years. I’m also a Control 4 Dealer(I Love Pakedge) and I will most likely never do a Control 4 project. I’m sure their residential stuff if great, it’s just not right for my projects.

The other thing is that Rob is spot on with Programming. If you have a crappy programmer you’ll have a crappy control system. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been called to clean up someone else’s work which is usually starting from scratch. Mostly because the original programmers have not supplied the uncompiled code to the customer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought display as it was necessary to get unit set up. Now I have an amazon fire 8 HD attached for clear viewing

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using both, the display from old apex and tablet/laptop as secondary but I find myself using my apex app on phone more than any other means.
Why apex classic display? I like the option on passing by the tank multiple times a day and see the temp, ph, salinity and orp readings right there with a single glance without having to wake up a laptop or tablet or opening an app on the phone.
Also I can hit 1 button on the classic display to put the tank on feed mode with using apps and other gadgets.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

In June 2018 I mounted a NuVision Windows tablet inside my Reefer cabinet door, and left it plugged in and powered on at all times with no screen timeout. Today I found the tablet screen was blank, and upon inspection I found the tablet itself was hot and swollen. The battery is likely damaged and I removed the tablet from the house just in case it catches fire. I'm glad I caught this before I leave today for a week long trip.

68501564_10217127640096332_6653550807096492032_o.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. Feed is easiest to just punch in a couple of buttons. Maintenance and out comes the laptop.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure any of these tablets are really intended to be run 24/7 …. at least not over the long-term. I killed two fire tablets before deciding they were junk and using an iPad mini I had sitting around. Killed that one too. Now I use a regular iPad but flip the smart cover down at night.

7AF5F737-FAD3-4F23-994D-DCB6A8688FFF.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually find I use my mobile more then anything else to access fusion when near the tank. I do have the display, but find I rarely ever use it, or look at it anymore.

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I rebooted my fire tablet. I did a hard reset and I used the silk browser instead of the dolphin. It's working great and fast now. The address bar disappears and reappears when scrolling. Not a deal breaker for me. If you are having trouble with your fire tab, do a hard reset and then go do all the updates for the operating system. I had 11 updates I had to do. You ahve to keep clicking update and run each update. It took my about 45mins to get through all of them. Then give silk browser a try.
will the silk browser work on the new fire 7 tablets and operate apex ok?

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a fire tablet to use as a display but couldn’t figure out how to get it set up... been sitting on a shelf since, waste of money. Would gladly pay for a elegant solution that didn’t involve hacking my equipment, downloading third party software, and bypassing security to get it to work.

the new amazon fire tablets come with a web browser built in so you don’t need to make any changes.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. I needed display to set up the apex. Now I use the fire. Only complaint I have with fire is the screen goes black after 40 seconds or so. Wish it stayed on longer or even all the time

you can make a change in settings to keep the screen on all the time. That’s how I have it setup

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back