apex door switches

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, sorry to bring up an older thread, but I'll be doing something similar to this myself soon, and I want to make sure I'm seeing things correctly.

There was some disagreement between using SERIES or PARALLEL in this scenario.

Wouldn't either way work, depending on if the switches are normally-opened or normally-closed?

Normally-closed in SERIES would mean that when all doors are closed, all switches are CLOSED, b/o box switch is ON. Opening any one door will open the switch and turn on the light (because programming).

Normally-open in PARALLEL would mean that when all doors are closed, all switches are OPEN, b/o box switch is OFF. Opening any one door will close that one switch and turn on the light (because programming).

Either way works, right? It just depends on the switches...

Correct my if I'm wrong so I don't mess up something :neutral:
You're correct. I just can't think of a magnetic door switch that would be a normally-open switch. My prior comments were assuming a normally closed switch.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closet door jam switches are usually normally open. Meaning when your closet door is closed the circuit is open and the lights are off. When you open the door and the magnets separate the circuit closes and the lights come on. If you have a double door closet or built in cabinets you need to wire them to come on when any are open. The reason we use alarm sensors in our stands most of the time is because they can be surface mounted and not drilled into the doors.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back