Apex dos help (2 of them)

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm having issues programming my apex dos in conjunction with a second apex dos. I'm trying to do awc on my dt and awc.
A couple of notes - I have each dos head set to 'Add' based on calibrating the rollers. I have my first dos for awc on my dt. It pulls fresh sw from storage and sends waste to the drain. I have a second dos for awc on my coral qt. That pulls 'fresh' sw from the sump of the display and puts it in the QT. The dos pulls waste from the QT and send it down the drain.
As you'll see in the screen shots my dt awc dos did not finish its dosing.
The general idea is at 145am I will change 650ml of water in/out of the QT. At that same time I will add 650ml of fresh sw from storage to the dt.
After that's complete I will change 7500ml of dt water.
Why did my dt dos not fill that last bit?

Screenshot_20201005-074522.png Screenshot_20201005-074607.png

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just curious, and I have used a DOS pump for a while, but not for AWC's, but this was back in 2017. But, there was a problem that the DOS would in fact run, but would not log correctly. I don't know if that problem was ever fixed, as I don't even look at the graphs anymore in Fusion.

I know back then, Neptune told me they were chasing a fix for that.

With that said, and assuming it's working correctly, are you sure that it didn't finish, and the previous day it just simply dosed too much? I know that some days when I look at my logs, my Apex will miss a specified amount for that cycle of dosing 2 part, and will dose more in another cycle at some point during that day. In other words, I see often in the 24 hours of 2 part dosing that some cycles will dose 1.7ml, and other times 1.1 or 1ml. In the end, it generally is within .2-.4 of a ML over the 24hr period, regardless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just curious, and I have used a DOS pump for a while, but not for AWC's, but this was back in 2017. But, there was a problem that the DOS would in fact run, but would not log correctly. I don't know if that problem was ever fixed, as I don't even look at the graphs anymore in Fusion.

I know back then, Neptune told me they were chasing a fix for that.

With that said, and assuming it's working correctly, are you sure that it didn't finish, and the previous day it just simply dosed too much? I know that some days when I look at my logs, my Apex will miss a specified amount for that cycle of dosing 2 part, and will dose more in another cycle at some point during that day. In other words, I see often in the 24 hours of 2 part dosing that some cycles will dose 1.7ml, and other times 1.1 or 1ml. In the end, it generally is within .2-.4 of a ML over the 24hr period, regardless.
Before today it was running perfectly dosing 7500ml/day. And the difference amount is almost 650ml which makes me think something is not right.

Screenshot_20201005-100553.png

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I did some math..

previous to the two running:
3746.4 + 3746.4 = 7492.8 ml/day

after updating
649.4 + 3746.4 + 3122 = 7517.8

The difference is 25ml. Not sure where that comes from, but, whatever. I'm just going to add 650ml to the DT AWC side and start it earlier and see if that changes anything.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I did some math..

previous to the two running:
3746.4 + 3746.4 = 7492.8 ml/day

after updating
649.4 + 3746.4 + 3122 = 7517.8

The difference is 25ml. Not sure where that comes from, but, whatever. I'm just going to add 650ml to the DT AWC side and start it earlier and see if that changes anything.

Curious, have you actually looked and confirmed there is less water?

I'd check a few things and let that settle in for a day or 2, and if you need to add water do it.. perhaps re-calibrate it too.

I only suggest that because if for some reason it's reporting the wrong number, but dosing correctly, that could cause a problem with salinity. Granted, even though I have a DOS I don't do AWC with my Apex, I use my Versa's, so I'm just throwing ideas out.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious, have you actually looked and confirmed there is less water?

I'd check a few things and let that settle in for a day or 2, and if you need to add water do it.. perhaps re-calibrate it too.

I only suggest that because if for some reason it's reporting the wrong number, but dosing correctly, that could cause a problem with salinity. Granted, even though I have a DOS I don't do AWC with my Apex, I use my Versa's, so I'm just throwing ideas out.
It's really hard to tell - being able to eyeball 650ml off in a 240g DT + ~50g sump isn't easily discernable by the eye. The 20G QT looked fine...

I also don't think one day of being 650ml off would vary the salinity by much at all.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's really hard to tell - being able to eyeball 650ml off in a 240g DT + ~50g sump isn't easily discernable by the eye. The 20G QT looked fine...

I also don't think one day of being 650ml off would vary the salinity by much at all.

Nothing indicated you had a 240G display. Lol.
That's a lot of water. Haha.

Tater_kamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you calibrate the dos? When you calibrate, it has to be hooked up the normal way. Then you switch the connections for AWC

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did you calibrate the dos? When you calibrate, it has to be hooked up the normal way. Then you switch the connections for AWC
100ml graduated cylinder. If you modify the AWC config after setup to do 'add (or +)' on both pumps, they will rotate the same way as when calibrating. So long as you use the same liquid (I did), it should be accurate.

You can read more here from @SuncrestReef : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...tips-or-hints-appreciated.744640/post-7783633

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back