APEX Down - What To Do Next?

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through a painful process with my 7 month old APEX which seems to have failed since the last firmware update and is not recording any logs to track parameters.

It's taken them 4+ days for a response until just yesterday (day 5) that the support tech said I need to send it in for repair and asked (for the fourth time in the messaging) for the S#, along with information on 'condition', a copy of the receipt, where it was purchased, how much I paid, and wanted photos.

Suffice to say not only was that request for information intrusive, but it's a huge PITA because the unit is not readily accessible being behind an established tank up against a wall. What's worse, I'm now I'm going to be left without a controller for however long it takes them to turn around a 'repair'. As you all know, everything revolves around the Apex and EB32, including my Trident, and manually cycling my equipment (COR20, CaRx, Skimmer) for 'x' amount of time is problematic.

Is this considered normal for Neptune gear? I don't think I need to articulate how put off I am by a $900 unit that failed in less than a year and this doesn't seem a very customer-friendly way to support us. Do you guys have any suggestions on a workaround? This experience is enough to get me thinking that a ReefPi is the way to go... at least I have a number of Raspberry Pi units that can be swapped out if one of them fails.

Looking forward to some advice from those of you who have been down this path before.

Thanks in advance!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Workaround? Plenty of people run tanks without controllers.

If you want to spend some money, Kasa Smart strips might be useful.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, can you revert back the the firmware that work?

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, can you revert back the the firmware that work?
I asked exactly that question here:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through a painful process with my 7 month old APEX which seems to have failed since the last firmware update and is not recording any logs to track parameters.

It's taken them 4+ days for a response until just yesterday (day 5) that the support tech said I need to send it in for repair and asked (for the fourth time in the messaging) for the S#, along with information on 'condition', a copy of the receipt, where it was purchased, how much I paid, and wanted photos.

Suffice to say not only was that request for information intrusive, but it's a huge PITA because the unit is not readily accessible being behind an established tank up against a wall. What's worse, I'm now I'm going to be left without a controller for however long it takes them to turn around a 'repair'. As you all know, everything revolves around the Apex and EB32, including my Trident, and manually cycling my equipment (COR20, CaRx, Skimmer) for 'x' amount of time is problematic.

Is this considered normal for Neptune gear? I don't think I need to articulate how put off I am by a $900 unit that failed in less than a year and this doesn't seem a very customer-friendly way to support us. Do you guys have any suggestions on a workaround? This experience is enough to get me thinking that a ReefPi is the way to go... at least I have a number of Raspberry Pi units that can be swapped out if one of them fails.

Looking forward to some advice from those of you who have been down this path before.

Thanks in advance!

When mine broke, it wasn’t under warranty but I sent it to the member here that fixes stuff and turn around was super fast.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I haven’t updated my firmware lately and don’t want to now lol feel like I saw a few posts.

I use the Kasa smart strip on a nano and it works great for anything you simply need an on/off time for.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back