Apex EB8 Plug Melted

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the plug on my EB8 began to melt recently. Luckily all was caught in time and no serious damage occurred.

When this happened, the ground prong pulled out of the plug. Does anyone know of a replacement power cord I could purchase and install? I cant seem to locate the specs on the cable itself.

Thanks!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the plug on my EB8 began to melt recently. Luckily all was caught in time and no serious damage occurred.

When this happened, the ground prong pulled out of the plug. Does anyone know of a replacement power cord I could purchase and install? I cant seem to locate the specs on the cable itself.

Thanks!

Ouch. Contact heating like that indicates a problem between the outlet and the plug terminals - when the contact is poor, it will heat. Salt or other damage likely has ended up in there.

Before swapping the cord I’d also swap the outlet it was plugged into.

As for the cable, any sufficiently thick three wire cord is fine as its soldered on the inside of the EB8. You can hack off the end of an IEC cord (computer cord), or buy a line cable like https://www.digikey.com/short/jvc5z3

OP
OP
Winschuc

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I’ve reached out to Neptune to see about the replacement.

Also, I replaced the outlet and ran two new outlets to the sump room. Shouldn’t have an issue again

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back