APEX EL which Wireless Router Work?

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a Google WiFi Mesh Network that runs on the 5GHz frequency, I now understand Apex doesn't play on that frequency. So, what wireless routers are you using to connect to the new Apex EL system? Without a lot of workarounds.

Is there a list of wireless routers that work somewhere?

I thought this was an easy plug and play system, that was compatible with about any wireless router.

Very disappointed right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Ed

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you already posted on the Neptune Community forum, so obviously that didn't resolve your issue.

There's no list of specific WiFi routers that the Apex supports, but as long as it runs 2.4 GHz and supports the following features, it will work:
  • WPA2-Personal using AES encryption
  • SSID is broadcast (not hidden)
  • Band steering disabled
Which specific model of Google mesh WiFi are you using? I'm pretty sure all their models support both 2.4 and 5 GHz concurrently. Have you logged into it to see how it's configured? I'd bet it has the features listed above, but perhaps these settings are not configured currently.

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you're right I have been to the Neptune Forum. And have had three separate phone calls from Neptune Tech Support, no resolution yet.
The man at Nepture couldn't have been nicer to deal with, but it's very frustrating.
Sorry, I can't find the model # on the Google Router, it's my understanding it runs the 5GHz & 2.4GHz at the same time. The device should be able to lock on the either needed, however, not the Apex. You can set up a Guest Account that might use only the 2.4GHz frequency, but I haven't had luck with that either.
Have another call for Monday with Tech Support.
Thanks
Ed

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pelican, are you using a Guest Network ??? My Google Mesh WiFi is about 2 years old.

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chiefifd No, just my regular WiFi network. I just looked and there is no where in the app that designates whether it’s a 2.4 of 5 ghz network. Maybe that gets done at setup? My setup is a few years old as well. Bought in December 2017.

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google mesh routers have very simplistic controls, at least through the app. I do not think you can change bands or turn of 5Ghz frequency, actually i think their selling point is that they automatically optimize network behind the scenes.

I was able to connect to wifi, but Apex was dropping from network all the time. In my case easiest solution was a hardwired connection.

Also during setup it tells you to connect to either apex.local or just apex or ip address. Did you try all of these? I remember that only one option ended up working for me.

Last edited:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used google’s WiFi router, so I’m afraid I can’t help you with that. I have a Ubiquiti Amplifi router and my 2016 Apex connected fine to it but would periodically disconnect. It would always reconnect right away, so the only thing it really affected was the heartbeat feature. It did slowly improve with firmware updates but I eventually just made it hardwired. (In truth the only thing it affected was the heartbeat function, since that requires a consistent connection. Everything else worked perfectly.)

As far as getting your system set up goes, plugging it directly into the router will let you connect to the Apex and get things going. I’d go to the Google support site to get more information or help on the router.

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...
Thanks, everyone for your input. I was able to connect my Apex EL today with the help of Neptune Support again. Nothing changed with the router's settings, however, we did manually enter the SSID again with a password and it connected. I believe we had done that before, so if that was the reason it reset somehow or simply unplugging everything over the weekend and got settings refreshed.
I did find out from Google Wi-Fi support. Sometimes unplugging the remote Wi-Fi Pucks from the system and taking your device to a remote location in your house may help you connect to a 2.4GHz device. You can see if your devices are running on 5GHz or 2.4Ghz then selecting the devise clicking on it and under details it will say if it's on 5GHz or 2.4Ghz.
Again, Neptune service was outstanding, couldn't be happier with their Tech!
Sorry, I didn't reply earlier, I didn't have my instant notifications on.
Thanks
Ed

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find out from Google Wi-Fi support. Sometimes unplugging the remote Wi-Fi Pucks from the system and taking your device to a remote location in your house may help you connect to a 2.4GHz device. You can see if your devices are running on 5GHz or 2.4Ghz then selecting the devise clicking on it and under details it will say if it's on 5GHz or 2.4Ghz.

That kind of sounds like google's 5GHz/2.4GHz implementation is a bit wonky. 5GHz has a shorter range, so I'm guessing moving the puck further away takes it out of the 5GHz range and forces it to 2.4 GHz, but that shouldn't impact devices connecting.

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's correct as far as forcing the router to connect via 2.4Ghz. We connected the Apex EL while still in the 5GHz range, but connected it first using a wired connection (we had tried the wired route the other occasions too).
The Neptune Tech wasn't sure just what had changed as we had tried on the 3 other occasions.
Anyway, it's working now!
Again Nepture does have great Tech Support, very nice people.
Ed

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got my BRS special edition... and my network is setup with a hidden ssid and no password. I know it’s probably not the safest but considering all the devices on my network configured for it, I really don’t want to change if I dont have to.

i had a sinking feeling when apex setup it asked for the network password with no option to skip it. Called support and said no hidden and must have a password. I asked what about a guest network and he said no, guest has limited permissions.

well I created a non hidden guest and setup seemed to be able to connect but when it got to the step of configuring the apex, it just went forever with light changing colors Orange, green, purple...

any ideas? I was thinking a cheap wireless access point. Which is what I use on my non wifi audio receiver, but would prefer just somehow getting it to work on my router. It’s a netgear orbi single device, no satellite.

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's asking you for the password that you use on your wireless router that your laptop or phone uses at home to connect to the internet wirelessly.
Maybe I'm understanding your problem wrong.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's asking you for the password that you use on your wireless router that your laptop or phone uses at home to connect to the internet wirelessly.
Maybe I'm understanding your problem wrong.
Right but I don’t have a password for that ssid. And if I add one, I have to redo all my other devices that are on WiFi.

I set up a guest ssid with a password and it seemed to login but it never completed configuring the apex.

now i just hooked up an old router as an access point, but now I can’t seem to reset the apex. It never has the blue logo steady. It just keeps flashing orange,blue, green, purple (red?)

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you push the reset on the Apex EL with a paperclip or similar? Hold the rested button in for about 10 seconds that will get the Apex to flash blue.
Try that,

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you push the reset on the Apex EL with a paperclip or similar? Hold the rested button in for about 10 seconds that will get the Apex to flash blue.
Try that,
Yes, tried that, kept changing colors. I also tried 30 secs which is supposed to do factory reset.

ill call Neptune tomorrow.
thanks for helping.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, they say may be a hardware issue. either controller or ac adapter. Seems the BRS special edition is unique and has a power adapter since it doesn’t come with an energy bar.

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I saw the special addition Apex with the Auto top-off & PH probe. I settled on the Apex EL with the new energy bar 8, love it.
I hope you get it resolved.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back