Apex Fusion

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice and mitigation.

I have an apex with two energy bars connected. Last night we had a power outage. When the power had come back, I see an exclamation on the Apex app for both the energy bars. I checked the energy bars, one was a solid orange and the other was a solid blue. I unplugged both the bars from the wall and plugged them back in, the bars would start and trip right away.

I unplugged and tried again and everything started working as if nothing had happened.

In the coming months, I will be away for a month. I have someone coming in to feed the fish and top up my dosing containers (Alk and Ca). But, they won't be able to tell if the pumps and all are working. I believe the Apex will be a risk if there is a power outage and the Apex does not turn back on when the power is restored.

Is there anything I can do? Should I just buy some good quality surge protector and plug all the equipment, the downside of this is I won't be able to monitor anything. Any advice, or thoughts will be helpful. The other option I was thinking of is, to delay starting everything by a min?

Thank you.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't run into this myself. At least yet (when I unplug my energy bars everything comes back on without issue). Without knowing what/how you have everything configured, loads (etc.) it's hard to say - but staggering the start time of certain items (heaters, lights) certainly couldn't hurt.

OP
OP
Vamsi

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a generator ? I suggest a UPS between the two so apex doesn't turn off
I do not have a generator or a UPS. I have been contemplating on a generac. But have been putting it away.

OP
OP
Vamsi

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't run into this myself. At least yet (when I unplug my energy bars everything comes back on without issue). Without knowing what/how you have everything configured, loads (etc.) it's hard to say - but staggering the start time of certain items (heaters, lights) certainly couldn't hurt.
Not sure if this helps - this is what I have connected.

Attachments

• IMG_78C67D2026C0-1.jpeg
    IMG_78C67D2026C0-1.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 34

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a generator or a UPS. I have been contemplating on a generac. But have been putting it away.
Mine is being delivered may 19th !

However, I've noticed this happened once or twice where fusion wouldn't reconnect however, the program is stored locally in the brain so you may not be able to see status in the app the tank should be running as intended.

If that's not the case you may have a faulty system

OP
OP
Vamsi

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hallowhead Are you going with whole house backup generator with the transfer switch? 26KW?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hallowhead Are you going with whole house backup generator with the transfer switch? 26KW?
My house is no where near as big to warrant a 26kw.

I'm going with the 10kw with the 16 breaker ats

This will power fish circuits / fridges & freezers, heat, central air and various outlets and lights throughout.

Keep in mind I have an easy start on my central air system.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not run into this either.
I wonder if you tried to restart apex from your phone would it reconnect?

Have the whole system on a ups, it wouldn't last long. Unless you have a huge battery. What I did is plug in one power head to the ups. You can do the programming to have 1 head turn on in an power outage. Saves the battery so it can run longer.

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a UPS that keeps everything running uninterrupted (except for the lights in my case) for at least 20-30 minutes. This will at least eliminate all the risks of short power outages. If it's a longer outage, it will be problematic if there is nobody home, unless you have a generator on automatic.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a UPS that keeps everything running uninterrupted (except for the lights in my case) for at least 20-30 minutes. This will at least eliminate all the risks of short power outages. If it's a longer outage, it will be problematic if there is nobody home, unless you have a generator on automatic.
Short outage, 20~30 minuets, wouldn't have any problem on a reef tank without anything running. Main pump, heaters, ect, have a huge draw and would kill a ups in short order. Not sure why you would recommend running this way.
My tank has gone a few hours with nothing running.
It's the long haul that makes or breaks the reef tank with no power. With one head running, you would at least have O2 in the tank...the no. 1 killer in a motionless tank, IMHO.
Just my 0.02¢

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short outage, 20~30 minuets, wouldn't have any problem on a reef tank without anything running. Main pump, heaters, ect, have a huge draw and would kill a ups in short order. Not sure why you would recommend running this way.
My tank has gone a few hours with nothing running.
It's the long haul that makes or breaks the reef tank with no power. With one head running, you would at least have O2 in the tank...the no. 1 killer in a motionless tank, IMHO.
Just my 0.02¢
Because the power spikes and on/off action from the power company are the ones that damage equipment. It is to protect the equipment, not the reef inhabitants.

In addition, it goes to the OP's question on the turning on or off of his Apex and Power bars.

My UPS has been running this way for over two years without any issues. Expected battery life is 3-5 years from the manufacturer, so we're good for the moment.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the power spikes and on/off action from the power company are the ones that damage equipment. It is to protect the equipment, not the reef inhabitants.

In addition, it goes to the OP's question on the turing on or off of his Apex and Power bars.

My UPS has been running this way for over two years without any issues. Expected battery life is 3-5 years from the manufacturer, we we're good for the moment.
How are you protected from the spikes?
You run the Apex thru surge protector?

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of pictures with my setup.

Attachments

• F8741A21-A9CB-4B7B-AB33-27B8DF8C968F.jpeg
    F8741A21-A9CB-4B7B-AB33-27B8DF8C968F.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 27