Apex Lite connectivity issues with EB8

Skull0mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is with the communication between the apex and the eb8. Over the past week I noticed that sometimes my feed cycle manually triggered through fusion (or the controller) would take several minutes to kick over. Yesterday it never kicked (tank stayed running) even though the fusion display indicated the correct outlet configuration. I realized everything was running on fallback and cycled the power to the apex and eb8.

After that, whenever the eb8 is powered it defaults to fallback settings, but when the apex is connected (both units showing green LED and showing connected to fusion on the display) the eb8 shuts off all the outlets completely.

I tried reinstalling the firmware, which seemed to work for a short time but then started doing the same thing again. The eb8 does not show as a module on the display but the connected LEDs are both green. The time, temp, and pH display correctly between fusion and the handheld.

Any ideas before I put in a service call to Neptune? I've considered it might be an issue with the Aquabus cable itself and ordered a new one. I've tried different aquabus ports on both the apex and eb8 with no change.

thanks

OP
OP
S

Skull0mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try the factory reset from that link, it seems like it’s not changing the settings based on time even when everything says it is connected and connected to fusion. The new usb cable did not solve it. Otherwise it’ll likely be a hardware problem.

OP
OP
S

Skull0mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Nothing really helped, but after turning off all the logging on the outlets and letting it run for a few days everything seems to work as expected. 2 Days ago, it would take about 5 minutes for the Feed cycle A to actually turn off the pumps. Yesterday all changes through fusion have an instant response with no lag. The programmed schedules are all working now as well.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up your settings right away because you might need a new base. There are more than 1 port on the eb8 and the base. I'm not sure if the USB connector is not good

OP
OP
S

Skull0mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I tried every combination of the 2 base unit ports and the 6 on the eb8 and no change. You might be right about the base, but so far so good. I really wish I'd known that apex was going to release the wifi EL before I bought used.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I knew the future, I would have bought the lottery ticket :)

Besides, if money is no object, what is the problem? (The new apex lite, wifi EL, is not as cheap as the used apex lite you bought right?)

I really wish I'd known that apex was going to release the wifi EL before I bought used.

OP
OP
S

Skull0mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE2: Back to this problem again, a few day ago I put the apex into feed mode and it left one of the powerheads running for some reason. Everything was normal for a couple days after that, and now back to the original problem of the EB8 not responding or showing as connected/shutting down whenever it is connected to the apex. I'm having a very hard time trusting my tank to this system. I'm a bit put out as I bought it on the forum as a good working unit and its been broken intermittently from the start.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the aquabus cable, the Apex base, or the eb8. I suspect the base most, but, it will be hard to tell which one is bad unless you have another known good base and or eb8.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back