Apex LLS Alarm if there is a rapid change

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 23” Apex LLS in my ATO bin, and I’m hoping to find a way to get an alarm/notification if there is a rapid change in water level, up or down (back siphon or faulty ATO, as examples).

So, basically something like,

“If the LLS water level drops more than .3” in one hour, turn off ATO”

Does anyone know if that’s possible?

Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 23” Apex LLS in my ATO bin, and I’m hoping to find a way to get an alarm/notification if there is a rapid change in water level, up or down (back siphon or faulty ATO, as examples).

So, basically something like,

“If the LLS water level drops more than .3” in one hour, turn off ATO”

Does anyone know if that’s possible?

Thanks!
I don't believe it's possible, no. Here's the extent of the Neptune Liquid Level Sensor Manual. Wait for it... <crickets>

Here's what I can definitively tell you:
• There is no (current) way to measure or tell how much volume a PMUP pump has pumped or added to the tank from your reservoir (this is loosely related, but I thought it worth mentioning if you were using a PMUP pump for your RO).
• Even though you can see how much a DOS head disperses, there's currently no corresponding programming to do anything with this information (so if you were using a DOS for your RO you're out of luck as well).

With respect to any of the liquid level sensors (specifically):
• Under the advanced tab you have options to alarm when below minimum, above maximum or outside of range (as well as set the value and in inches or centimeters).
• Said alarms can be added to your email alarms as well.
• Manual calibration (something I haven't needed to perform yet)

If you have one of the newer Apex A3s with the embedded FMM (or if you're running an external FMM), I've only found this one single line of code for use when programming my LLS (I have mine set to turn my PMUP off when the RO reservoir drops below 2.0"):

If (LLS name) < 2.0 Then OFF

You can obviously use any value here as well as the > or ON commands.

If you're using the Neptune PMUP for your RO, this may be helpful (here is my complete FMM code as an example):

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF
If ATK_RO < 2.0 Then OFF
If LEAK CLOSED Then OFF
If ATK_LO OPEN Then ON
If ATK_HI CLOSED Then OFF
When On > 010:00 Then OFF ««« **Very important!!**
Defer 000:10 Then ON
Defer 000:04 Then OFF
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF

The "When ON > 010:00 Then OFF" line is very important! This is effectively a "kill" switch for the PMUP and will permanently disable programming from AUTO to OFF if the PMUP pump runs for more than 10 minutes (or whatever value you set).

So in theory, you could figure out how long the PMUP takes to pump 3", time it and then round up a bit to get a value that would effectively give you the same thing. And you could also add an alarm for if your FMM is set to OFF.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me directly with any specific followup questions. Cheers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back