Cleaning Neptune LLS?

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a special way to clean the Liquid Level Sensors?

I’ve been using an LLS-23 in my salt water storage bin where my AWC pulls from for a little over a year now and realized a few weeks ago it was stuck at 19 inches. It visibly looked clean.

It wouldn’t calibrate. I figured from mixing salt in the bin it’s in, gummed it up or something. I tried:

-Taking it out and spraying RO/DI water up the tube with no luck.
-I left it submerged to 22 inches in a Brute trash can with Citric acid and flow for a day with no luck.
-I ordered a replacement.

Since I had ordered a replacement I figured I would take it apart. I ended up splitting apart the grey plastic at the top and sliding the “tape measure” sensor out of the clear tube. A simple wipe down with an RO/DI soaked paper towel pulled a small amount of brown and black gunk off that wasn’t visible just looking at it. I reassembled it and glued the grey housing together with super glue…. Voilà. I was now able to calibrate it and it works again. I moved the LLS to my RO/DI storage bin and now use optical sensors in my salt water storage.

Just curious if anyone has an easy way of cleaning these liquid level sensors without the risk of breaking them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back