APEX need to reset Net after power failure

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two APEXes, one is a classic and the other is a junior. Both are connected to my router via ethernet; DHCP is set to On in both units and in the router.

Whenever there is a power bump or failure, neither unit will automatically reconnect to the router and I have to go into Net Setup and select Reset.

Is this normal? Is there something that I can do to stop this from happening?

Thanks

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happening to mine until I set a fixed IP address for the Apex. You’ll have to look up how to do that with your specific router but it has reconnected automatically every power outage since I changed it almost 2 years ago, and our power goes out a lot.

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should clarify, I set a reserved IP address for my Apex on the router itself and left the Apex in its DCHP configuration. You have to be careful messing with settings on that network configuration page because you can lock yourself out of your Apex.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happening to mine until I set a fixed IP address for the Apex. You’ll have to look up how to do that with your specific router but it has reconnected automatically every power outage since I changed it almost 2 years ago, and our power goes out a lot.

Thanks. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should clarify, I set a reserved IP address for my Apex on the router itself and left the Apex in its DCHP configuration. You have to be careful messing with settings on that network configuration page because you can lock yourself out of your Apex.

I did the same many years ago and it has worked flawlessly ever since. It basically comes down to how the devices connect on startup. Due to starting at different speeds, the Apex basically misses the handshake timing and times out.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but that would require effort on my part lol. We've had so many power blips over the past few days that I suspect that it won't be long before it happens on its own :)

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Internet had quite a bit of issues a little while back thanks to a faulty cable on the ISP side, so I made sure that my modem and router were on the same surge protector for easy reboots. Assuming it works North of the border, the app Uptime Robot was quite helpful in proving my issue to the ISP. It checks the connection every 5 minutes for free or every minute if you want to pay and sends notices.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My internet connection is very good and normally the electric company is also great. These power bumps are quite unusual for our area, but I think that there were 4 through the night last night and at least 4 more in the previous 2 days.

I have a new style of router - it not only drives the internet service but also powers my TV service and home phone. It works well, but when the router gets reset, the phone and TV also get interrupted.

Will have a look at the app.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fix didn't work for me. Neither Apex reconnected after the last power bump.

After looking at my setup, I think that I've identified the issue, but I'm not sure how to resolve it.

My old router/modem had 4 ethernet ports and I never had an issue with reconnecting after a power failure. The new modem/router only has a single ethernet port (I have no idea why) and the cable company provided me with a powered switch to provide more ports. The APEXes are connected to this switch. I'm thinking that the reconnect issues are related to this switch and the differences in reboot times between the Apexes, router/modem, and switch.

Any ideas on how to resolve the issue?

Thanks.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back