Apex or Icecap issue?

Kinettik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running as XF250 with Icecap module for my Apex. Everything was working fine.

Yesterday I noticed it was not spinning. Apex said it was on, and the program controlling the flow was running, no red light on the module. So I manually turned it off, then back on, and it went back into it's normal cycle.

This happened 3 more times, same thing.

This morning, it was running fine. Hit the ramp up, no issues. Back to the pulse settings, and intermittently shutting off again. I then shut off the program, let my battery backup kick in, and it keeps the pump running with no issues, so it isn't a pump problem, i.e. dirty blades or bushings.

I have not hooked it back up to the Maxspect controller yet, but I have to figure out something as I have no real flow without it.

Any suggestions or experiences with this issue?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running as XF250 with Icecap module for my Apex. Everything was working fine.

Yesterday I noticed it was not spinning. Apex said it was on, and the program controlling the flow was running, no red light on the module. So I manually turned it off, then back on, and it went back into it's normal cycle.

This happened 3 more times, same thing.

This morning, it was running fine. Hit the ramp up, no issues. Back to the pulse settings, and intermittently shutting off again. I then shut off the program, let my battery backup kick in, and it keeps the pump running with no issues, so it isn't a pump problem, i.e. dirty blades or bushings.

I have not hooked it back up to the Maxspect controller yet, but I have to figure out something as I have no real flow without it.

Any suggestions or experiences with this issue?

Bump.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed the ice cap controller has robbed some flow from mine, but never anything like you describe. I hope you get an answer!

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
On my Gyre pumps anytime the slightest amount of algae or coraline was built up on them they would have the same “stall” issue you’re describing. Sometimes they will kick back on for a moment but once the speed would hit 0% whether it’s on pulse or gyre mode it would “stall” again. It’s similar to issues I had with Jebao pumps in the past. Best thing I’ve found is at least once a month to remove and clean the impeller/blades of the gyres. Since I’ve started doing this I haven’t had any more “stalling” issues.

OP
OP
Kinettik

Kinettik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my Gyre pumps anytime the slightest amount of algae or coraline was built up on them they would have the same “stall” issue you’re describing. Sometimes they will kick back on for a moment but once the speed would hit 0% whether it’s on pulse or gyre mode it would “stall” again. It’s similar to issues I had with Jebao pumps in the past. Best thing I’ve found is at least once a month to remove and clean the impeller/blades of the gyres. Since I’ve started doing this I haven’t had any more “stalling” issues.

That's the thing, my pumps never hit that 0% ever. My pulse mode is 20% (5 secs) to 45% (10 secs), so it never has to stop and restart, at least, it shouldn't.

OP
OP
Kinettik

Kinettik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there are times that it will not re-start by simply turning off the outlets in Apex then back on again. However, 100% of the time, when I remove the module/Apex from the equation, it runs without hesitation.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
That's the thing, my pumps never hit that 0% ever. My pulse mode is 20% (5 secs) to 45% (10 secs), so it never has to stop and restart, at least, it shouldn't.

I still wouldn’t be surprised if needing cleaned is the issue. Just like lot of the equipment we use they require regular cleaning or performance can be decreased.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back