Apex outlet question

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, just got my new build up and going and I’m trying to go though and set up my apex classic for it. I was just wondering what you are plugging into the 10amp outlets? I wasn’t sure if I should run my ATI T5 (6 bulb, 39watt) and the fixture fan on the 10amp? Or is that really not needed? I also have a 200w heater I wasn’t sure if I should put into a 10amp. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally reserve the 10A outlets for the smallest loads that require the mechanical contacts to turn on and off, like my RODI input valve or BRS 1.1mL/min doser.

It does seem ironic that the largest capacity outlets are reserved for the smallest loads, but such is the case with TRIACs.

That being said, you should be fine running either your lights or the 200W heater, I run a two 300W heaters on two TRIAC outlets no problem. I also run my 4 bulb 54W T5 fixture, which is pretty close to your 6 bulb 39W fixture.

I think the TRIACs are rated to 5A? So 5 x 120 = 600W, but really, lets put a 70% derating in there to account for what the equipment vendors don't tell us, and call it about 420W. I would be comfortable putting an "advertised" 420W load on the TRIAC switches, and higher if I could confirm that the draw from the wall was less than 600W, not just the end rating of the device.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally reserve the 10A outlets for the smallest loads that require the mechanical contacts to turn on and off, like my RODI input valve or BRS 1.1mL/min doser.

It does seem ironic that the largest capacity outlets are reserved for the smallest loads, but such is the case with TRIACs.

That being said, you should be fine running either your lights or the 200W heater, I run a two 300W heaters on two TRIAC outlets no problem. I also run my 4 bulb 54W T5 fixture, which is pretty close to your 6 bulb 39W fixture.

I think the TRIACs are rated to 5A? So 5 x 120 = 600W, but really, lets put a 70% derating in there to account for what the equipment vendors don't tell us, and call it about 420W. I would be comfortable putting an "advertised" 420W load on the TRIAC switches, and higher if I could confirm that the draw from the wall was less than 600W, not just the end rating of the device.

Awesome! Thanks so much!!

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Let me know if you need anything else!

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Let me know if you need anything else!

Actually I’m trying to do a firmware update but it’s not happening.. It says a network can’t be reach and it’s locked out of the controller.. but I have everything hard wired to my router. I installed the application and it found my controller. Have you had this issue?

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man networking issues are not my forte but I'll give it a shot...

Do you know the IP address of the base unit? Can you log into the Classic dashboard?

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man networking issues are not my forte but I'll give it a shot...

Do you know the IP address of the base unit? Can you log into the Classic dashboard?

I gave up on it for the night last night.. lol but I will check when I attempt another go around tonight.. lol thank you!

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it to work! Thanks for the heads up on the IP address. Had to make a couple of changes and all was good.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Especially since I enjoy Apex coding, but despise networking issues.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back