Apex Owners- EB8 Questions

ARVERLY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Ive never owned an Apex before and I wasn't sure which plugs are supposed to go in the 4th and 8th plugs.

I have two EB8s and I have the following equipments:

1) Kamoer 3-Channel Doser
2) Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
3) Speedwave DC 3000 (790GPH) Return pump
4) ATI Sunpower Dimmable 6x54W (this only has one plug)
5) Reefbrite Blue LED 48"
6) Eheim Jager 150W
7) Eheim Jager 125W
8) MP40Wes Pump
9) Vortech Battery Backup
10) Maxspect XF150
11) 20" Box Fan
12) Vertex Omega 150 Protein Skimmer
13) Jebao RW4 Wavemaker (in sump)

So I have 13 total plugs and 16 total slots. Which would you put in the 4th and 8th sockets?

THANK YOU for your help :)

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a fan mounted in the sump that would turn on should temperatures exceed a particular set-point. This is a good fail-safe for those hot summer months. A fan blowing across the sump can lower the aquarium temperature by 2-3 degrees. Any cheap fan with a clip will work.

For what it's worth, some of those items are better on a DJ Powerstrip, to easily turn them off and on (return pump / protein skimmer). Are you able to turn those off/on via your phone easily? I have an older controller without theses these advanced functions.

OP
OP
ARVERLY

ARVERLY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a fan mounted in the sump that would turn on should temperatures exceed a particular set-point. This is a good fail-safe for those hot summer months. A fan blowing across the sump can lower the aquarium temperature by 2-3 degrees. Any cheap fan with a clip will work.

For what it's worth, some of those items are better on a DJ Powerstrip, to easily turn them off and on (return pump / protein skimmer). Are you able to turn those off/on via your phone easily? I have an older controller without theses these advanced functions.

Yes the 20" box fan will be in the sump. And yes, I can easily turn on/off any equipment with a phone/iPad.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally put bigger electrical draw items on # 4 and 8. There is something about a relay that might not trigger with low voltage items like dosing pumps, so avoid those. 4 and 8 have the different style of relay or whatever, thats why you can hear them turn on and off. It does talk about it in the manual somewhere if you want to get more specific.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your heaters look like the biggest draw.
I run everything on the eb8. No need for other power devices.
With 2 eb8's you can run a battery backup. Test power on one eb8 and shut all but 1 pump down during an outage.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your equipment, it won't matter too much. They have a higher current rating than the normal plugs, and are mechanical as opposed to solid state relays.

I would put items that are not toggled on and off too much for two reasons: first, there's an audible click when they turn on or off, and second, they will wear out faster than a solid state relay. Most people put things like high amperage heaters / chillers due to the higher current draw, or items like peristaltic pumps which have such a low draw that they tend to stay on even when the solid state relays are off. Neither of those applies to you, however.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back