Apex ph probe can not calibrated

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto calibration would not work for me (or others) after several attempts. If it works, great; if not, use the manual method outlined in this thread.

More of curiosity than anything else, but can you elaborate when you say it doesn't work? Do you get unreasonable values or does it error out or something obvious? I'm asking because who knows .. the auto may not be working for more people and folks haven't noticed.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
More of curiosity than anything else, but can you elaborate when you say it doesn't work? Do you get unreasonable values or does it error out or something obvious? I'm asking because who knows .. the auto may not be working for more people and folks haven't noticed.

Yep...see the very first post in the thread. You would know if Auto did not work; it will not calibrate.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto calibration would not work for me (or others) after several attempts. If it works, great; if not, use the manual method outlined in this thread.

Glad it's obvious. This is a first time I've calibrated since I first installed it 3 years ago. I did a vinegar bath first and cleaned before this calibration attempt. While my probes appear to calibrate properly including reading almost precise to the packets when I reinsert them afterwards, I found that my tank pH has not moved very much. This I find to be strange behavior simply because I normally swing between 8.2 -> 8.45 throughout the day. Now they've been fairly static and don't move much over the last 24 hours since I've cleaned and calibrated. I'm not sure if this means my probes are settling in from the vinegar bath since pH stability isn't my tank. This is why I'm challenging myself of the question on calibration. Maybe I cleaned off some of the good slime on the probes and that needs to now resettle again. lol

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The primary issue with auto calibration is that the Apex may decide the reading is stable and move on to the next step before the probe has truly come to equilibrium in the current solution.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's obvious. This is a first time I've calibrated since I first installed it 3 years ago. I did a vinegar bath first and cleaned before this calibration attempt. While my probes appear to calibrate properly including reading almost precise to the packets when I reinsert them afterwards, I found that my tank pH has not moved very much. This I find to be strange behavior simply because I normally swing between 8.2 -> 8.45 throughout the day. Now they've been fairly static and don't move much over the last 24 hours since I've cleaned and calibrated. I'm not sure if this means my probes are settling in from the vinegar bath since pH stability isn't my tank. This is why I'm challenging myself of the question on calibration. Maybe I cleaned off some of the good slime on the probes and that needs to now resettle again. lol

I hope the vinegar bath didn't damage it. If you're not seeing that normal diurnal variation, something is wrong with the probe.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the vinegar bath didn't damage it. If you're not seeing that normal diurnal variation, something is wrong with the probe.

I thought about that damage too.. wasn't clear instructions on cleaning from Neptune on cleaning. I did find a write up on R2R with folks using vinegar successfully which I followed. It doesn't appear to be broken per se because it's reading reasonable values. Just not a wide range of variation like you mentioned. I do recall back when I first put in the probes, that the numbers were all over the place. I think it has something to do with a break-in period which a good cleaning may have to be broken-in again.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back