Apex ph probe can not calibrated

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought apex el from LFS and try plug everything in. However, i try to cablirate my ph probe as instruction, the problem I have is ph 10.0 fluid somehow doesn work that lead my calibration failed. Here are some pic

44BCA955-CEE7-4BFE-B818-1ECAF7B297B5.jpeg

F9EC33CF-AC23-41B3-BFEE-20E565778611.jpeg

8381DED4-FB80-4A9D-9170-B8267CD68E14.jpeg

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought apex el from LFS and try plug everything in. However, i try to cablirate my ph probe as instruction, the problem I have is ph 10.0 fluid somehow doesn work that lead my calibration failed. Here are some pic

44BCA955-CEE7-4BFE-B818-1ECAF7B297B5.jpeg

F9EC33CF-AC23-41B3-BFEE-20E565778611.jpeg

8381DED4-FB80-4A9D-9170-B8267CD68E14.jpeg
You should have had ph 7.00 solution

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have had ph 7.00 solution
I put my prove in ph7.0 and it complete, then move on to ph 10.0 cand it seem like that. I just check my ph on apex fusion while sit my probe inside ph10.0 fluid and it only show 6.7. Is something wrong with that fluid?

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my prove in ph7.0 and it complete, then move on to ph 10.0 cand it seem like that. I just check my ph on apex fusion while sit my probe inside ph10.0 fluid and it only show 6.7. Is something wrong with that fluid?
Did you leave it in the 7.00 long enough?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your pH probe been in the water? I'd give it at least a week before calibrating.
I also don't recommend using the automatic calibration procedure.
Go to Advanced and then hit manual calibration.
Make sure your pH solutions are at aquarium temperature. I put mine in a water bath in the sump.
Start the calibration, put the probe in the 7 and swish it around now and then for a good 5 minutes.
When the displayed number stops changing (should settle around 700), go on the 10 solution and do the same thing. It should settle at around 1000.
Finish the calibration and if it isn't good enough, do the calibration again. It may take several runs to get a good calibration.

If none of that works, you can try resetting your probe to factory default, and starting the calibration over from scratch.
Note that Neptune only recommends that this procedure be done on direct instruction from Neptune tech support.
However there's no risk of 'breaking' your probe or your Apex by doing this.
I and others have had success getting a persistently wonky probe to behave, with this method.
First, disconnect the probe from it's jack on the Apex head unit.
Then, run the calibration procedure. Don't wait for any values to change, just go through all the steps.
Next, reboot the Apex.
Now, plug your probe back in. Attempt manual calibration again, using fresh 7 and 10 solutions.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your pH probe been in the water? I'd give it at least a week before calibrating.
I also don't recommend using the automatic calibration procedure.
Go to Advanced and then hit manual calibration.
Make sure your pH solutions are at aquarium temperature. I put mine in a water bath in the sump.
Start the calibration, put the probe in the 7 and swish it around now and then for a good 5 minutes.
When the displayed number stops changing (should settle around 700), go on the 10 solution and do the same thing. It should settle at around 1000.
Finish the calibration and if it isn't good enough, do the calibration again. It may take several runs to get a good calibration.

If none of that works, you can try resetting your probe to factory default, and starting the calibration over from scratch.
Note that Neptune only recommends that this procedure be done on direct instruction from Neptune tech support.
However there's no risk of 'breaking' your probe or your Apex by doing this.
I and others have had success getting a persistently wonky probe to behave, with this method.
First, disconnect the probe from it's jack on the Apex head unit.
Then, run the calibration procedure. Don't wait for any values to change, just go through all the steps.
Next, reboot the Apex.
Now, plug your probe back in. Attempt manual calibration again, using fresh 7 and 10 solutions.
Right now, my ph probe able to calibrate with solution7.0 but fail with 10.0. I put my probe back to my tank and it show 6.83. I use auto calibrate and did everything and did it several times but keep failing at that step. It also put those fluid in sump with same
DT temperature but no luck. It seem like ph 10.0 fluid doesn’t in range which my apex fusion indicAte. That why I think some thing wrong with my ph 10.0 fluid

phamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, my ph probe able to calibrate with solution7.0 but fail with 10.0. I put my probe back to my tank and it show 6.83. I use auto calibrate and did everything and did it several times but keep failing at that step. It also put those fluid in sump with same
DT temperature but no luck. It seem like ph 10.0 fluid doesn’t in range which my apex fusion indicAte. That why I think some thing wrong with my ph 10.0 fluid
did you figure how to fix the Ph 10 calibration? i just hooke my new Apex up and having the save problem...

Tater_kamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the steps that rkpeterson suggested. Neptune will likely suggest the same. I had the same issue and I ended up buying a new ph solution to calibrate.

phamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks. for the calibration solution, did you buy the neptune system or can i purchase any other brand of pH 7 & 10 solution? thanks

Tater_kamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a random bottle off of Amazon that had good reviews. It had enough where I could have done it quite a few times.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you only need enough fluid to submerge the tip where the sensor is, correct? Maybe 1 in of solution?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I assume you only need enough fluid to submerge the tip where the sensor is, correct? Maybe 1 in of solution?

Seems about right. I used a vial from a RedSea test kit which worked well. The Neptune calibration packets are too expensive, so I bought two bottles from Amazon for about $12 which will last...until they expire next year.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the same too. I bought a 7 & 10 packet and expecting to calibrate 2 probes, but I feel like I'm tainting the solutions with the multiple dips across packages. I ended up buying the pinpoint individual packets instead of the bottles because they're suppose to have a very long shelf life. Came out to less than a buck each so will have plenty extras.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just be sure to do an RODI dip in between the solutions. So, 7.0 dip, then RODI dip and a slight shake, then 10.0 dip. I like to move the electrode around just a little in each of the solutions, then just let it sit until it's stable. When doing the manual calibration, it took around 15 minutes for the 7.0 to finally stabilize. The numbers kept moving (in one direction) very slowly, so I let it do its thing.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RODI dip makes sense in between solution packs, but why is everyone saying manual vs auto? I would think the Apex engineers put enough thought into the procedure to give us a reliable "wizard" to calibrate. I guess at the end of the calibration process put the probe back into either/both solutions to see if you get the calibration fluid value. That's the end goal after all, right?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The RODI dip makes sense in between solution packs, but why is everyone saying manual vs auto? I would think the Apex engineers put enough thought into the procedure to give us a reliable "wizard" to calibrate. I guess at the end of the calibration process put the probe back into either/both solutions to see if you get the calibration fluid value. That's the end goal after all, right?

Auto calibration would not work for me (or others) after several attempts. If it works, great; if not, use the manual method outlined in this thread.

Back