Apex pH probe reading low out of box

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my Apex and calibrated the pH probe and it's reading 5.6. My Milwaukee tester is reading 8.2 and I'm getting the same ballpark measurement on a strip test. Any thoughts? I don't understand how it's reading so low, BUT appeared to read the calibration fluid correctly.

OP
OP
DVal

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think may be going on is that I didn't calibrate it at the regular tank temp. Tank was off for a bit and I may have floated the calibration fluid for too short of a time when the tank temp was cooler than it typically is. Do you think that could cause such a low reading?

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think may be going on is that I didn't calibrate it at the regular tank temp. Tank was off for a bit and I may have floated the calibration fluid for too short of a time when the tank temp was cooler than it typically is. Do you think that could cause such a low reading?
Yes the tank temp can have an neg effect but it's hard to say if that's the issue. Try a few calibrations and if it's still not working contact your vendor or Neptune for a replacement. I'm pretty sure one of my probes from the box is toast and it hasnt seen water yet due to damage I see. GL

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the probe sit in your tank for a day, recalibrate, and see what you have.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check it by putting some tank water in a glass and place the probe in the glass and make sure the reading is close to the one you were getting in the tank. If not then you have something in the tank interfering with the reading, If that is ok wait a couple of days and recalibrate but leave the probe in each solution when calibrating for 5-10 minutes. After calibration double check the reading in each solution. Also there should be a glass bulb in the tip of the probe. These can get broken during shipment.

OP
OP
DVal

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check it by putting some tank water in a glass and place the probe in the glass and make sure the reading is close to the one you were getting in the tank. If not then you have something in the tank interfering with the reading, If that is ok wait a couple of days and recalibrate but leave the probe in each solution when calibrating for 5-10 minutes. After calibration double check the reading in each solution. Also there should be a glass bulb in the tip of the probe. These can get broken during shipment.
I appreciate the tip! I'll give that a try tonight.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back