Apex probe reading issues

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph and salinity were reading low on my apex. I tested salinity with my calibrated refractometer and it measured correctly @ 35, apex showed 31. Ph was reading 7. I ordered calibration packets thinking that was the issue. Calibrated salinity without issue. The ph read way off. It settled on 300 for the 7.0 solution and q250 for the 10.0
Now the salinity in the tank reads 19, shook out the bubbles
The ph reads 6.8 but isn't accurate when reading the calibration solutions.

Do I have a couple of bad probes?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph and salinity were reading low on my apex. I tested salinity with my calibrated refractometer and it measured correctly @ 35, apex showed 31. Ph was reading 7. I ordered calibration packets thinking that was the issue. Calibrated salinity without issue. The ph read way off. It settled on 300 for the 7.0 solution and q250 for the 10.0
Now the salinity in the tank reads 19, shook out the bubbles
The ph reads 6.8 but isn't accurate when reading the calibration solutions.

Do I have a couple of bad probes?
For what it’s worth the salinity probe is junk very hard to get accurate consistant readings. As far as calibration being off on any probe from my experience I e had issues doing this from iPhone but when I use pc the calibrations worked and saved to the apex

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had a lot of success with adding flow to the salinity probe. I was inspired by the VCA SPS kit. In my old system I set a small pump to gently blow over the tip, in my new setup the flow of the sump goes right up into the probes. It will require calibration in the flow, so I ensure the system is dead on 35 ppt via an alternate test and use the actual probe placement in the sump for the 53k part of the calibration. If any of the probes start to get flaky, soak them in citric acid for 15-20 min.

35.4 is my target value (35.4 = 35)

1651197549876.png

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try the calibration on my android. Guess I can try computer

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a head unit fail that was warrantied by Neptune.

I got the new unit and installed the old pH and Salinity probes and they would not calibrate to the new for anything.

These worked just fine on the prior head unit.

I was pulling my hair out. So I ended up opening a ticket with Neptune.

The 2 tips they gave me.

1) Use the manual calibration so you can watch the numbers settle yourself.

2) Use the Neptune local connection instead of the cloud. They said the cloud sometimes introduces lag.

I had to do both of those once. Back to perfect.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of success with adding flow to the salinity probe. I was inspired by the VCA SPS kit. In my old system I set a small pump to gently blow over the tip, in my new setup the flow of the sump goes right up into the probes. It will require calibration in the flow, so I ensure the system is dead on 35 ppt via an alternate test and use the actual probe placement in the sump for the 53k part of the calibration. If any of the probes start to get flaky, soak them in citric acid for 15-20 min.

35.4 is my target value (35.4 = 35)

1651197549876.png
Citric acid does not damaged probe? At what ratio do you use ?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back