Apex Temp Probe not reading correctly

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admitted Apex Newb! Picked up the BRS EL and just set it up last night. Super easy, but temp probe reads temp at 21 degrees and I believed Fahrenheit to beat! I have calibrated it four times but it never changes it on the dashboard. I am sure it is a super easy thing g I am overlooking. Welcome help!

8DC857A1-3BB5-4325-B734-FCCDF4DE4F04.png

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the wiring, my probe was wired incorrectly, the pinout should be pin 3 and pin 4 on the rj11 connector from memory.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have reseated the connection a few times ... no change. Have recalibrated several time and no change. Thank you all for your help so far. Any other thoughts?

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red and white wires should be in pin 3 and 4 of the connector, there should not be any space between them. If you are looking down with the copper part of the rj11 facing you, and the plastic retainer facing down, pin 3 and 4 will be to your right.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My analysis: the Apex is reading low because your controller is not seeing the probe, I am unsure if Apex probes are an rtd or a thermo couple, my guess being two wire they are an rtd. My probe exhibited the exact same symptoms which makes perfect sense in an open circuit situation. Double check your wiring, my probe was cabled incorrectly, I moved the wires to pins 3, 4 and recrimped, wala instant temp reading.

Temp probes are quite basic units, I doubt the probe is faulty apart from wiring, I could be wrong though as there is no way to tell without a multimeter.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back