Apex temp question

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guy just setup my new tank. I have two 75 watts heaters connected to my apex on a 50 gallon tank. Both heaters have a thermostat set at 81. I set the apex to turn on if below 78 and off at 79. It’s been running a day and my temp is not as tight as I expected. Most of the day it’s been at 77.6 77.9 it did go up to 79.1 at one point today then dropped back down. What’s causing this? My house is temp controlled by a heat pump.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My experience is that many heaters are not as reliable as we would like, so since you have an Apex, you should feel fairly comfortable increasing the "81" thermostat setting to get the temp to your liking.

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that many heaters are not as reliable as we would like, so since you have an Apex, you should feel fairly comfortable increasing the "81" thermostat setting to get the temp to your liking.
Since I’m using smaller heaters I guess if one failed it probably wouldn’t get that high anyway so I would assume that is safe?

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Using 2 heaters is typically good practice for any size aquarium, and is sounds like you have your top end set at 79 so it should shut off even if it does fail or get stuck on.
1580017799586.png

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 2 heaters is typically good practice for any size aquarium, and is sounds like you have your top end set at 79 so it should shut off even if it does fail or get stuck on.
1580017799586.png
Awesome thanks for the insight, I’ll go ahead and turn the heaters up another click tomorrow morning

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guy just setup my new tank. I have two 75 watts heaters connected to my apex on a 50 gallon tank. Both heaters have a thermostat set at 81. I set the apex to turn on if below 78 and off at 79. It’s been running a day and my temp is not as tight as I expected. Most of the day it’s been at 77.6 77.9 it did go up to 79.1 at one point today then dropped back down. What’s causing this? My house is temp controlled by a heat pump.
Would it make more sense to tune each heater to your desired temp and use the Apex with wider parameters to shut the heaters off if something goes wrong and warn you if temp gets too low?

Reason I ask is that it seems like having the Apex turn off/on two outlets hundreds (?) of times a day will wear out the switching outlets on an expensive piece of equipment compared to letting the heater do the work. Easier and cheaper to replace the heaters.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back