Apex Trident Calibration

kgh9555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running an Apex Trident is 2 tanks (a 150 gall and 45 gallon both reef tanks). Over the years, I have run into issues and used the APEX change out program a few times. Recently, I noticed that my ALK has been reading low on both tridents. I have used the calibration a number of times and have always wondered about the instructions. You have to input the reading that are on the bottle into fusion and let the trident run the calibration for about an hour. Numbers always come up the same that are on the botltle. After the calibration, I run a combine test and the the numbers are off. I test my water using 3 test kits (Hanna, Red Sea and API) generally all 3 tests come in close but the trident is never close to any of the 3 tests. When calibrating, it almost seems like you are forcing the numbers to read whats on the bottle. It would seem more efficent if you ran a combined test just using the fluid from the bottle and see what the results are. Does anyone have any thoughts or maybe tried doing this?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running an Apex Trident is 2 tanks (a 150 gall and 45 gallon both reef tanks). Over the years, I have run into issues and used the APEX change out program a few times. Recently, I noticed that my ALK has been reading low on both tridents. I have used the calibration a number of times and have always wondered about the instructions. You have to input the reading that are on the bottle into fusion and let the trident run the calibration for about an hour. Numbers always come up the same that are on the botltle. After the calibration, I run a combine test and the the numbers are off. I test my water using 3 test kits (Hanna, Red Sea and API) generally all 3 tests come in close but the trident is never close to any of the 3 tests. When calibrating, it almost seems like you are forcing the numbers to read whats on the bottle. It would seem more efficent if you ran a combined test just using the fluid from the bottle and see what the results are. Does anyone have any thoughts or maybe tried doing this?
Did you prime the sample line before calibration when you put it in the calibration bottle? And then again, after the sample line was returned to the tank?

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate to the tank, seems to give more consistent results, and more comparable to the manual tests I use to cross check.

I normally do two or three tests in a row for each parameter with my manual test kits, then average the results. I put those numbers in as the calibration fluid values and let it go through its calibration.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the same with my trident several times. Next time the thing is gone. Not necessary for me anymore and provide very little value.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very important to have the calibration bottle around the same height as the normal position of the black sample tube when calibrating. The back pressure on the tubing matters a lot. "Calibrating to Hanna" is not calibrating. I used to do that as well until I learned to calibrate properly.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While keeping alk in reasonable ranges is important the more important part is stability. You don’t want it constantly fluctuating but want it to remain close to the same

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done the same with my trident several times. Next time the thing is gone. Not necessary for me anymore and provide very little value.
I'm starting to feel the same way. I wanted one really bad and all it is doing is causing extra stress. I messaged Apex about it and was told, "Who calibrates Hannah or Salifert tests, so Apex is the most accurate within .5". I just don't trust it.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to feel the same way. I wanted one really bad and all it is doing is causing extra stress. I messaged Apex about it and was told, "Who calibrates Hannah or Salifert tests, so Apex is the most accurate within .5". I just don't trust it.
I have had to have the unit replaced twice so far, not to mention all the reagents. Just not worth the effort. Hannah does just as good of a job. I would never trust it to adjust dosing so all it does it display a test that I barely watch anymore.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very important to have the calibration bottle around the same height as the normal position of the black sample tube when calibrating. The back pressure on the tubing matters a lot. "Calibrating to Hanna" is not calibrating. I used to do that as well until I learned to calibrate properly.

Hello,
I'm curious as to why it's believed that using a Hannah checker to calibrate isn't a good choice? I do believe, based on ICP tests, that my Hannah checker is accurate to within .5dkh. With that being said, I also believe consistency is most important and sometimes question why the trident readings "drift" causing inconsistencies.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm curious as to why it's believed that using a Hannah checker to calibrate isn't a good choice? I do believe, based on ICP tests, that my Hannah checker is accurate to within .5dkh. With that being said, I also believe consistency is most important and sometimes question why the trident readings "drift" causing inconsistencies.
You can use both for consistency, but the Trident is actually more accurate when properly calibrated. The issue I see most people have is not raising their calibration bottle to where the black tube usually ends in the sump or tank, and priming the sample line first. That is very important. But, other issues do arise as well.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost a year in and I have never once calibrated my Trident. The alkalinity reads about 1 to 1.25dkh higher than actual. Do I care? Nope. The number isn't important enough to me. I care about consistency and repeatability far more than the actual number. Trident reads 7, I know it is actually around 8dkh. That is plenty good enough for me.

My tank has also been on Trident controlled dosing the whole time and is stable as can be. Video in my Tank Journal of my tank

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can use both for consistency, but the Trident is actually more accurate when properly calibrated. The issue I see most people have is not raising their calibration bottle to where the black tube usually ends in the sump or tank, and priming the sample line first. That is very important. But, other issues do arise as well.
I calibrate using my tank water. I can't honestly remember if I did prime the line. I'm going to have to check that.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Use the task to calibrate the Trident. Installation location and reagent batch / lot numbers change and it could change results.
  • Reagents have lot/batch numbers. The FAQ notes that it is recommended to test 2-3 times on the new batch of reagents before attempting a calibration.
  • Don't chase numbers. You will just end up pulling your hair out.
  • Tip above about calibration solution and location is correct. It is also pointed out in the calibration task.
  • Remember 6 month kits use the same lot number for ALK.
  • Trident controlled dosing has a safety net built in - it will not go beyond and crash your tank. Proper setup of course is required and the hobbyist has to know what levels to set and why.
  • Can always run a combined test, or a single test type, using a reference solution such as Neptune's calibration solution or the multi reference from Fauna Marin to validate.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident is fairly reliable *if* you know how to utilize it properly. This includes calibrating from your tank based on actual test kits (Salifert, Hanna, etc.), recalibrating after changing any reagents and periodic cleaning of the cuvette. My alkalinity (what I'm primarily depending on the Trident for) is consistently within ±0.05-0.25 of my titration tests.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to change reagents on both my tridents this weekend. I will run calibration with the Neptune calibration solution. I just cross checked alk with Hanna, and it is within .2-.4 dkh 2 months after last cal. That is within range of error of testers. I will check Ca too soon.

This will all be demonstrated on my YouTube channel, and viewable in a week. I get asked about this a lot, and I hope to get everyone enjoying their Tridents again. I am not a salesman, just a Reefer looking to help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back