Apex trident worth it?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a much cheaper alternate to the reagents now.
Woah! Tell me more! Generic reagents that work with Apex?! Personally what I’ve done to save money on reagents is to reduce the amount of tests per day to 1 combined and 1 Alk (to maintain the correct reagent ratio) with custom programming. But cheap reagents would be even better!
They're more accurate if you toss the reagent calibration fluid and instead calibrate the Trident using your off-the-shelf testing kits, ie: Hanna, Salifert, Nyos, Red Sea, etc.
Yeah I take this approach as well. It might not be “correct,” but the whole point of regular testing is to get repeatable, verifiable results. If the Trident disagrees with my other tests than it’s not that valuable to me; do I just trust that Trident is more “accurate?” So I’d rather just “calibrate” it to my next most trusted testing system (I use Red Sea). Then I can always compare them against each other if I get funky results.
Great idea, next time I get Chinese I’ll save the container. Lol
I use a spent 1 gallon vinegar bottle. Just drilled a hole in cap; it takes forever to fill up!

Back to the OP… I think its value depends a lot on you. I’m horrible at being super consistent and rigorous with testing and even water changes. I would do them when I got around to them; I have a busy life with more important things going on. So for me, things like auto-testing, auto water changes, etc. make a huge difference and free me up to enjoy the hobby more without as much of the chore. It just makes the hobby better for me. That said, if you’ve got a stable tank with consistent parameters and you don’t mind weekly testing, there’s no doubt the Trident is over priced for what’s actually inside of it. Recently though I went out of town for 4 weeks with no tank sitter. Between the Trident, DOS, AWC, ATO, feeders, solenoids, and monitoring systems the tank did just fine. I really value that ability to be as hands on or off as life dictates week to week.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah! Tell me more! Generic reagents that work with Apex?! Personally what I’ve done to save money on reagents is to reduce the amount of tests per day to 1 combined and 1 Alk (to maintain the correct reagent ratio) with custom programming. But cheap reagents would be even better!
abcreagents.com

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while its not cheap, I wouldn't do a tank without one again. I am bad at doing test and my tank show it. Once I got one, my tank health improved so much it was like having whole new tank.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I take this approach as well. It might not be “correct,” but the whole point of regular testing is to get repeatable, verifiable results. If the Trident disagrees with my other tests than it’s not that valuable to me; do I just trust that Trident is more “accurate?” So I’d rather just “calibrate” it to my next most trusted testing system (I use Red Sea). Then I can always compare them against each other if I get funky results.

I use a spent 1 gallon vinegar bottle. Just drilled a hole in cap; it takes forever to fill up!

Back to the OP… I think its value depends a lot on you. I’m horrible at being super consistent and rigorous with testing and even water changes. I would do them when I got around to them; I have a busy life with more important things going on. So for me, things like auto-testing, auto water changes, etc. make a huge difference and free me up to enjoy the hobby more without as much of the chore. It just makes the hobby better for me. That said, if you’ve got a stable tank with consistent parameters and you don’t mind weekly testing, there’s no doubt the Trident is over priced for what’s actually inside of it. Recently though I went out of town for 4 weeks with no tank sitter. Between the Trident, DOS, AWC, ATO, feeders, solenoids, and monitoring systems the tank did just fine. I really value that ability to be as hands on or off as life dictates week to week.
Completly agree! I want to get to that point as well where I can just leave for x amount of days and not have to worry about my tank. Knowing if something goes wrong I’ll get a notification on my phone no matter where I am makes me a lot more comfortable. I bought the trident, going to set it up this weekend

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while its not cheap, I wouldn't do a tank without one again. I am bad at doing test and my tank show it. Once I got one, my tank health improved so much it was like having whole new tank.
My tank is going through a few swings now so it will be very beneficial to me and I can keep stable parameters now.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P

Please elaborate. I honestly was looking at this just for alk and it doesn’t seem that you can buy only the all reagent.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the trident worth the money? My tank is about 6 months old, stocked with lps and softies right now and looking into a trident. But before I buy it I want to see what everyone else’s opinion is on it first. Is it worth the $900? (In Canada) I’ve read some older threads from 2020 but can’t find any for 2022 so wondering what everyone’s long term success with it is. I also read that you need to follow their guidelines of 4 alk 2 ca and 2 mg of testing a day in order to keep the pumps primed and everything.
thanks in advance!
I'm glad I saw this post. I got a 40g and only grow torches, hammer, zoa and mushrooms. Is it really worth getting apex, power bar and trident? I do weekly water changes sometimes biweekly. And I only test Alkalinity, Phosphate and Nitrate. However, I'm getting lazier as I grow old. What gadget only test those 3?

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I saw this post. I got a 40g and only grow torches, hammer, zoa and mushrooms. Is it really worth getting apex, power bar and trident? I do weekly water changes sometimes biweekly. And I only test Alkalinity, Phosphate and Nitrate. However, I'm getting lazier as I grow old. What gadget only test those 3?
Personally I love mine and wouldn’t go without it. Apex hasn’t released anything to test nitrate and phosphate yet sadly, lots of people are hoping they do soon and personally I would be surprised if they didn’t because the competition has it. You will get good and bad reviews and I was nervous at first spending all this money and reading it doesn’t even work. I just got an icp test done and my trident was very close to the same numbers, coming up on having it a year and no issues as well as all of my other apex equipment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back