Apex vs. Netgear WNCE3001 gaming adapter

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sourced a WNCE 3001 from ebay so I would be using what Apex recommended. I've been pulling my hair out ever since. Before I go buy something different, can anyone recommend a fix for me?

My WPS button on my router has never worked for any extender that I've tried. So I hooked the 3001 up directly to my iMac, ran an ethernet cable to the router, turned off WIFI and set it up through the Netgear Genie. Everything said it worked and was successful. Unplug it all and take it to where my tank it - about 15 feet from my router. Powers up, light turns red. Manual says this means no connection or bad power source. Then the light turns green. OK, fine. Fusion says connected and all works. Light turns red. Light turns green. No rhythmical timing, just every 15 seconds to a minute or even 5. Take it to an outlet right next to the router. Does the same thing. Repeat setup process. Same thing. Sometimes Fusion works when it's red. Sometimes Fusion says not connected when it's green.

I ask for another one from the eBay seller because I'm sure the adapter must be bad. The send me another one. SAME EXACT thing.

Help?

#apexusers

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either bad Ethernet cable (15ft) or devices can't push enough power over that long cable. If later is the issue then placing a hub or switch in between will solve that issue.
Start with a different cable and just as long as you need.

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either bad Ethernet cable (15ft) or devices can't push enough power over that long cable. If later is the issue then placing a hub or switch in between will solve that issue.
Start with a different cable and just as long as you need.
I think the only thing he references is that his tank is 15feet from his router. Never defined what cable he used to set it up.

I used an iogear once to setup an Ethernet only printer up over wireless. Never had any issues.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only thing he references is that his tank is 15feet from his router. Never defined what cable he used to set it up.

I used an iogear once to setup an Ethernet only printer up over wireless. Never had any issues.
Correct and thank you. I used the Netgear Ethernet cable and have tried others for setup - Only 3’ long. I will try another Ethernet cable, but that seems like a long shot. I have tried multiple power cables.

Last edited:

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I'd recommend checking is whether the WPS button is enabled on your router. On newer Comcast modems (and I'm sure some other carriers do this as well), the WPS button is disabled by default and to get it to work, you'd have to login to your router and find the setting. Some also have the option to initiate the WPS pairing directly in the router's admin panel, so even if your WPS button is broken, you may not need it. I ran into the same issue the first time I setup something with WPS at my place and was pulling my hair out until I discovered that.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got the WPS to work on my netgear adapter. I ended up logging into it manually (like the initial setup of a router) and setting the wifi password that way

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, guys. Keep the suggestions coming please. I’ll check the wps settings on my router, but I configured it manually and it’s doing this after it initially worked. I have configured it a few times and each time it works while connected to my router or computer, then when I disconnect it, it does the green/red dance every 20 seconds or so.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a factory reset on the adapter and update the firmware if there is one. Seems like mine did similar shenanigans and a firmware update fixed it, but mine was a slightly earlier model I think. My Apex is hardwired now.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a factory reset on the adapter and update the firmware if there is one. Seems like mine did similar shenanigans and a firmware update fixed it, but mine was a slightly earlier model I think. My Apex is hardwired now.

Did this today and the installer (Genie) won't open on my Mac anymore. Used the WPS button and it connected. Wouldn't connect to Fusion and now doing the red/green dance again. How can I get the Genie to open up? When I type in http://mywifiext.local for my Mac, computer says "server not found". Internet is fine. Also, tried using ethernet to connect my Mac instead of WiFi and same issue.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As annoying as it is it sounds like you need to sit down on the phone with Netgear support. I think you may have a bad adapter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back