Apex/Water change question

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me say I know nothing about controllers....

I'm thinking/planning to add neptune apex to my new build. And also considering an auto water change system although I'm sure I'll still have to do some manually in order to vacuum sand bed. Looking at the apex to help with that.

If I have my water containers in the garage with the neptune fluid doser, and am using the sensors which need to be plugged in, how does that hook up to my controller which will be in my office?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need Apex DOS and it’s will work fine, and you also don’t need to vacuum the sand bed it’s not necessary.

And as already said by @SuncrestReef
If no vacuuming, just doing a turkey baster blast every week or 2? Or just relying on flow to keep everything clean and clean up crew. My current sandbed does get dirty and I usually turkey blast if I don't vacuum

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no vacuuming, just doing a turkey baster blast every week or 2? Or just relying on flow to keep everything clean and clean up crew. My current sandbed does get dirty and I usually turkey blast if I don't vacuum
It’s up to you really, ive never cleaned the sand bed in either of my systems, it’s part of the micro fauna and filtration of the whole ecosystem

You don’t need to clean it, but if you feel you want to fine. My sand doesn’t look dirty at all.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s up to you really, ive never cleaned the sand bed in either of my systems, it’s part of the micro fauna and filtration of the whole ecosystem

You don’t need to clean it, but if you feel you want to fine. My sand doesn’t look dirty at all.
good to know. I think either the powerheads or gyres have a "cleaning" function I can also make use of, esp. with a bit of turkey blasting. I feed heavy so that might work.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me say I know nothing about controllers....

I'm thinking/planning to add neptune apex to my new build. And also considering an auto water change system although I'm sure I'll still have to do some manually in order to vacuum sand bed. Looking at the apex to help with that.

If I have my water containers in the garage with the neptune fluid doser, and am using the sensors which need to be plugged in, how does that hook up to my controller which will be in my office?
Part of it depends on how far your office is from your garage. There are some limits with Neptune (my guess is that you'll be ok). The rest of your question is unclear. which sensors? The location of the controller should not make must difference

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of it depends on how far your office is from your garage. There are some limits with Neptune (my guess is that you'll be ok). The rest of your question is unclear. which sensors? The location of the controller should not make must difference
thanks. I think the sensors are the high/low and there is some sort of link as the neptune ato comes with it and it has 2 extra ports or whatever they are called. I've seen something about a cable I might also need to run.

Here is what I drew up today (if I havae the concept right. not to scale. Office is 10x10, laundry room 5.5 x 6+ approx. but I'd run lines/wires along garage walls and down to the conduit that goes thru wall
water change tank.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only suggestion would be to drain your waste into a drain. Like I said - I'm assuming your sump is the gray area? and the 'stand' is for fresh and saltwater?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I think the sensors are the high/low and there is some sort of link as the neptune ato comes with it and it has 2 extra ports or whatever they are called. I've seen something about a cable I might also need to run.

Here is what I drew up today (if I havae the concept right. not to scale. Office is 10x10, laundry room 5.5 x 6+ approx. but I'd run lines/wires along garage walls and down to the conduit that goes thru wall
If I can do a drain (washing machine in the house not garage) I will. Yes, The stand is for the 2 water storage containers (65 gal ea) and sump is in the office (purple tank). The gray area is the stand/platform for the water heater and furnance unit

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Susan,
I am in the slow process of setting up the same.
yeah I am pretty sure you can drain the old SW into the washer drain. just make sure it cant come out. think pets

you can also tap into a drain line of a sink for a more permanent install.
good luck and let us know how it goes.
PS when does the new tank arrive?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Susan,
I am in the slow process of setting up the same.
yeah I am pretty sure you can drain the old SW into the washer drain. just make sure it cant come out. think pets

you can also tap into a drain line of a sink for a more permanent install.
good luck and let us know how it goes.
PS when does the new tank arrive?
Very cool! When do you get your tank? Have you started a build thread yet? We have no sinks available. To go to the laundry room drain is a matter of a couple feet--through the wall, so i think that is the plan if we figure out how to do it. It's behind the washer so it won't get knocked out.

I'll get my tank in september. It's on order. Good thing I have time as I had no idea how big a deal this tank upgrade it!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool! When do you get your tank? Have you started a build thread yet? We have no sinks available. To go to the laundry room drain is a matter of a couple feet--through the wall, so i think that is the plan if we figure out how to do it. It's behind the washer so it won't get knocked out.

I'll get my tank in september. It's on order. Good thing I have time as I had no idea how big a deal this tank upgrade it!
In the end - you'll thank yourself having the drain go to the laundry - rather than emptying that brute can! Good luck with your tank

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yeah after a long 2 years I finally got my tank running it was quite the process. click my build thread if you want to fallow/check it out. we did a 1.5 year whole house reno. but its up and running.

yep. youtube will be our friend lol's
i call it youtube university. I am enrolled in many classes. :D

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m
yeah after a long 2 years I finally got my tank running it was quite the process. click my build thread if you want to fallow/check it out. we did a 1.5 year whole house reno. but its up and running.

i call it youtube university. I am enrolled in many classe
make a link in your signature for your build link and get a build thread banner. I had to copy and go out of this thread/tab and open a new window. A link takes you right there

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC using the Dos is one of the better add ons I did. You will def enjoy it. Just another addition that makes your tank easier to maintain. Parameters will remain stable. Just make sure you add some failsafes so Apex alerts you when you run out of fresh saltwater in your brute. As MnFsh1 said def see about draining into sink or drain one less thing to worry about going wrong amd flooding floor.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC using the Dos is one of the better add ons I did. You will def enjoy it. Just another addition that makes your tank easier to maintain. Parameters will remain stable. Just make sure you add some failsafes so Apex alerts you when you run out of fresh saltwater in your brute. As MnFsh1 said def see about draining into sink or drain one less thing to worry about going wrong amd flooding floor.
Thanks for the reply. And will do!!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m

make a link in your signature for your build link and get a build thread banner. I had to copy and go out of this thread/tab and open a new window. A link takes you right there

oh wow it was there! what happened to it?? thanks for pointing it out.
updated not sure what happened as I have had a few over the years.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back