API kit saved my day

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday, I thought my calcium doser ran too long. I double checked everything. So when my wife came home she could tell I was determined about something. Finally, she comes and sits down watching me figure out why I was so stumped. Everything was hooked up correctly, doser is running at the correct time and the right duration. So I start testing, Red sea pro test kit is telling me everything is spot on right around 430-450 multiple tests. So I calm down, I had a 2nd guess and used used the Reef master api kit that I don't think I've ever used the calcium portion of the kit. It was off the chart. But if my math was correct it was in the 700 range. So I go on amazon order the mag,cal,alk salifert kit. And test the red sea pro kit thinking api is known to be wrong. Ran to pet smart got a new box of reef crystals (needed one anyway) and was thinking Ill do a extra water change. Salifert comes yesterday, turns out api was right, so I start looking at the red sea kit and realize its EXPIRED! Never dawned upon me but all in all I'm doing about a 25% water change daily for 3 days. My alk and mag are fine. Cal is down to right about 600. But hopefully tomorrow it will be fine once it hit around 500 ill stop and let nature take its course. And continue to test those (3) twice a day. In the mean time BIG lesson learned. And also will say I like salifert better at this point. Better detailed instructions. Hopefully someone can learn from my mistake, No losses everyone is open and looking pretty good this morning. Hope y'all have a good day!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did we do it for so long with swing arm hydrometers and API test kits? It's a miracle anything lived.
But most things did except when life got too busy or I did something stupid.
The secret is what you need to know isn't in the exact values of the numbers themselves.

OP
OP
Bugsy_Barboza

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as things don't get crazy everything is fine, give take on the numbers you're fine but Im just glad I caught it. Everything is fine now, just a good lesson learned. And its funny how quick something can change but it takes days to get back on track. Y'all have a good weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back