Apitasia

sailfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an over abundance of apitasia right now. What is the best method to getting rid of the buggers? Any advice appreciated.

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp won't touch them..I got some pickling lime to try this week... going to try it out.

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant say how many peps i went thru, But now i got one that does the job just fine. I think he evens wats for the apitaisa to get a little big so he can eat them. Its been a few months now that ive seen one of those buggers in my tank.

Pepps do work. Just a matter of finding one that like to eat apits

kharn101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Best thing i ever did was super glue them :)...If you have a few and have a small tank drain your tank and super glue them..if not use a high concentration of kalk on them should work..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got some joes juice last week and I hit as many as I could see. Seems like maybe 20-30% has come back so I am going to hit them again. Looks like the ones I got good are gone gone.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing about JJ is if you don't inject it into the stalk of the aptasia you won't have any luck. I feed heavier when I am going to JJ the crap out of them. They cannot retract very well when they are full. Kalk, Vinager, all work well also. The best luck is the burgia sp?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing about JJ is if you don't inject it into the stalk of the aptasia you won't have any luck. I feed heavier when I am going to JJ the crap out of them. They cannot retract very well when they are full. Kalk, Vinager, all work well also. The best luck is the burgia sp?

Hey good advice! I'll try these techniques. Hey say pickling lime will kill them? What effect will it have on corals or PH?

Hey salfin if the lime works good, i know wally world in Fort O has some.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dumped a dozen pepps into my 120, which was filled with Aips, majano's, and tulip anemones. I don't feed my fish often (their fat, so they are obviously finding food in the tank, despite the looks of hunger every time I look over). I think that aided in the pepps destroying all pest anemones in about three weeks. Haven't seen one since they took them all out. Need to do the same for my 125, now, to see if it works for me twice.

A thick kalk paste will usually do it, too. I made it really thick and used a small test kit scoop to put it right on the oral disc. I left current off for a while to let it really brun the pests, but it seemed to wipe them out on some old LR I had. I wouldn't recommend doing too many luike that in a small tank though (too much kalk could spike parameters).

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with pickling lime I have raised my alk way high before with no ill effect to my corals. If pH goes too high use a little White vinager to lower it.

OP
OP
sailfin

sailfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch everyone. I'll pick a couple of those and run with it and let you know. Probably do the kalk with the peps and see what happens.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that lemon juice helps too (suggested by Bob Fenner at WWM). I added it to the kalk to make a paste & it wipe out about 50% of them.

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing is a must if you kalk or use joes juice. Siphoning out the kalk and apitasia after treatment. By doing this you will siphon out the apitasia and any spores it might let loose. any spore that get into rocks will become another apitasia. most ppl dont do this and see a worse case of apatasia later on.

I use a baster that has a smaller opening. I shut my returns and PH and start the kalk paste killing :D . I let it sit for 30mins then siphon out every place i put kalk. If you pour the water into a clean cup. you will see little piece of apitasia floating in the cup. Some come out whole ,some in pieces

This will also reduce the chances of raising your alk

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back