Apogee or Parwise

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Parwise meter any different from the Apogee MQ-510 in terms of reading results? Meaning, if a spot in my tank is 270 PAR per the Apogee, will the Parwise produce a very similar reading in the same spot? Is this an apples to apples comparison with these two meters?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They read differently. I own both and according to parwise their device filters out uv and doesn’t read it as useable par.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
according to parwise their device filters out uv and doesn’t read it as useable par.
I think that to get an accurate measurement of all the light we are putting into the tank, even UV needs to be measured.
I guess if your light fixture doesn't emit UV, then the parwise is worth considering.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apogee does not read any real UV either and only reads in the 400 to 700nm visible range. If the Parwise reads from 380-800nm like their website says, then it has the ability to read more range.

I have no idea which is more accurate. I guess that if you want the chart, then get the Parwise, otherwise either will do.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I have a Apogee 510 and also access to a $5k LiCor meter. When you cut the LiCor down to 400-700 nm and convert the numbers a bit to the same thing, the Apogee is pretty impressive and accurate to the LiCor.

Just in my house, my Metal Halides produce about 22-30% more usable radiation than the Apogee can catch, but the LiCor can measure. Apogee measures PAR, which by definition is just in the visible range - stupid name, right? There is much more light radiation that is usable that humans cannot see... like from about 350-400 and then from 700-850nm.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They read differently. I own both and according to parwise their device filters out uv and doesn’t read it as useable par.

So the Parwise numbers are typically lower than what the light might actually be outputting?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that anybody knows. The Apogee is more near to what expensive meters read, but who knows if they are right.

I would use one of these to figure out the higher and lower spots in your tank, or maybe compared to a few other tanks with the same meter. If you want an absolute number to use, then you might need a $1000+ meter to truly trust it.

The Apogee 510 has a cosine corrected sensor so it can be more accurate when light is coming in at angles. It also has underwater factors already applied. I am not sure if you need to adjust these things when using the Parwise.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people who have adjusted their lighting up using the parwise to meet the apogee reading have said their corals reacted extremely well.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Parwise meter any different from the Apogee MQ-510 in terms of reading results? Meaning, if a spot in my tank is 270 PAR per the Apogee, will the Parwise produce a very similar reading in the same spot? Is this an apples to apples comparison with these two meters?
I've searched without finding anything regarding the spectral response of the PARwise. Without that, you can't make any logical comparison UNLESS someone does a side-by-side comparison of individual wavelengths of LEDs to compare the spectral response of each. Since LEDs produce controlled wavelength outputs, measurements can be made of representative wavelengths throughout the entire visible spectrum.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched without finding anything regarding the spectral response of the PARwise. Without that, you can't make any logical comparison UNLESS someone does a side-by-side comparison of individual wavelengths of LEDs to compare the spectral response of each. Since LEDs produce controlled wavelength outputs, measurements can be made of representative wavelengths throughout the entire visible spectrum.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't understand. I'm referring to the spectral response of the PARwise, not a screen capture of one measurement.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that to get an accurate measurement of all the light we are putting into the tank, even UV needs to be measured.
I guess if your light fixture doesn't emit UV, then the parwise is worth considering.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need at least a $1000 meter to measure non-visible spectrum well, and likely $1000 is not enough. If you can borrow one from somebody, it can be fun, but otherwise, the hobby ones are not bad if you know their strengths and limitations.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back