Applying solvent to acrylic

Michaelscorzelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I just finished building my first acrylic tank which will be used as a sump. Since it was my first go around it was a good learning experience and each seem got a little bit better. Two of the problems I had were:

- A lot of micro bubbles In the seam. How do I avoid bubbles in the prep work and as I apply solvent? The seam looks clear as I first apply the solvent but bubbles appear as it sets.

- When I apply the solvent, I fill the gap between the two panels, but when I pull the pins a lot f solvent squeezes out and leaves a sort of pool on the edge of the seam. Am I applying too much solvent or is this normal?

thanks in advance for all the help!

Mike

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware that pins were necessary, or recomended, for acrylic. Glass tanks yes, to maintain a proper gap for the silicone. I’m certainly not an acrylic expert, but I’ve always used the solvent on joints where the two acrylic pieces were butted right up against other in order to effect the necessary capillary action. Unless you used the thickened cement? That always bubbles as it dries.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edge prep is everything with acrylic. Having a nice clean edge, free of burs or excess saw marks goes a long long way to having a bubble free seam. I also have never done the pin method before. I've used up to 3/8" thick acrylic and I've always just lightly clamped the pieces and let the solvent flow into the joint on it's own.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back