Appropriate age for their own tank

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its no secret this can be an expensive and time consuming hobby. At what age do you think its appropriate for a child to have their own tank? Do you start them with responsibilty early and fund the tank yourself? or is this a luxury that they need to earn their own money for and fund it themselves? Do they need to be able to provide 100% of the maintenance on their own?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank at 14 and I’m 16 now. I wish my parents were into it and got me started earlier! I have paid for nearly everything myself except for some equipment, which have been have been birthday and Christmas presents. I do think that your child should be able to handle 90% of the maintenance alone and should have a lot of research and understanding before getting into it because while reefing has not been difficult for me, it’s definitely been something that required a lot of money and time (mostly in the form of learning) for me.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank at 14 and I’m 16 now. I wish my parents were into it and got me started earlier! I have paid for nearly everything myself except for some equipment, which have been have been birthday and Christmas presents. I do think that your child should be able to handle 90% of the maintenance alone and should have a lot of research and understanding before getting into it because while reefing has not been difficult for me, it’s definitely been something that required a lot of money and time (mostly in the form of learning) for me.

16 as well and I completly agree with this quote same here. When I was younger I was mad that my parents did not pay for any of it but im happy they made me pay, it helped me learn the value in a lot of things I own and gave me motivation to work. I had my first tank when I was 11 and I would not have had it any other way :)

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that its something that is apprecaited by such a large age range, from toddlers admiring them and people in retirement years just starting out in the hobby. I feel that kids should be able to start a small tank up as soon as they are able to start contributing in some way financially like putting birthday money or allowance for doing chores towards things that are needed for the tank, i personaly go half with my kids on certain things they want and have taken time to save money for. They also need to do their research and be able to do basic maintenance. I think for the most part parents know their kids and know what they are going to put effort into, or what they just want in the moment. I think its important for kids to have a hobby, it teaches responsibility, commitment, and the value of a dollar, not to mention there is nothing better than seeing the outcome on something you worked so hard for.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back