Appropriate QT Tank Size for 4-5 “ Assasi Trigger?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning I purchased a 4-5” Assasi Trigger that I will be putting through quarantine. My debate is whether a 20 gallon long will suffice for the 6-8 weeks he will be in there? I have a 40 breeder but the 20 long would make it more convenient for dosing meds and doing water changes. So was just curious on anyone’s thoughts on this who may have possibly quarantined a similar sized trigger or other fish? Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning I purchased a 4-5” Assasi Trigger that I will be putting through quarantine. My debate is whether a 20 gallon long will suffice for the 6-8 weeks he will be in there? I have a 40 breeder but the 20 long would make it more convenient for dosing meds and doing water changes. So was just curious on anyone’s thoughts on this who may have possibly quarantined a similar sized trigger or other fish? Thank you!
20l is acceptable

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - one person’s 4 to 5” fish is another person’s 6 or 7”. People are often biased when they estimate the size of fish.
Assisi triggers are pretty active swimmers, I’d opt for the larger tank if it is truly 5” long.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - one person’s 4 to 5” fish is another person’s 6 or 7”. People are often biased when they estimate the size of fish.
Assisi triggers are pretty active swimmers, I’d opt for the larger tank if it is truly 5” long.

Hah, this is absolutely hilarious. I’m guessing OP got the same 4-5” Assiassi I did. The thing is huge. I have no idea what Live Aquaria thinks 4-5” is but this thing is at least 7”.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, this is absolutely hilarious. I’m guessing OP got the same 4-5” Assiassi I did. The thing is huge. I have no idea what Live Aquaria thinks 4-5” is but this thing is at least 7”.
Yes just ordered from them yesterday lol. So no I have no clue the true size of this fish all I can do is go off the description which is 4-5”. You got yours recently? And you’re saying 7”?? Yeah live aquaria is way off sounds like. Guess I’m dragging out the 40 breeder lol. Glad you responded probably saved me a headache on Tuesday! Oh and love that golden puffer! Looks like we have a lot of the same fish!

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just ordered from them yesterday lol. So no I have no clue the true size of this fish all I can do is go off the description which is 4-5”. You got yours recently? And you’re saying 7”?? Yeah live aquaria is way off sounds like. Guess I’m dragging out the 40 breeder lol. Glad you responded probably saved me a headache on Tuesday! Oh and love that golden puffer! Looks like we have a lot of the same fish!

I don’t think you need the 40 gallon for a few weeks of qt but this sucker is crazy active like my clown trigger.

For reference here’s the 10” purchase size of the golden puff and the fish pretty much side by side. The puffer has a few (maybe 2) inches on it when the tail isn’t curled up like that.

I’ve never seen size so off on a website like this especially since it should be double the price we got it for lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0691.jpeg
    IMG_0691.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you need the 40 gallon for a few weeks of qt but this sucker is crazy active like my clown trigger.

For reference here’s the 10” purchase size of the golden puff and the fish pretty much side by side. The puffer has a few (maybe 2) inches on it when the tail isn’t curled up like that.

I’ve never seen size so off on a website like this especially since it should be double the price we got it for lol.
Yeah you scored for sure! Guess we’ll see if I get just as lucky on Tuesday lol. Probably just play it safe and set up the 40.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well finally got my assasi trigger from live aquaria and yes he’s definitely closer to 7” than the 4-5” stated on the website lol. Having said that this is a replacement. The first one they shipped died in transit apparently from the bag not being sealed properly and all the water leaking out smh. This fish shows up today and didn’t have any heating packs?? I know there’s lots of complaints about live aquaria but I had had good luck with them until now. Anyhow the trigger is in his qt tank and seems to be doing ok.
IMG_2512.jpeg
IMG_2511.jpeg
IMG_2513.jpeg
IMG_2510.jpeg

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang sorry to hear you had issues with them. Mine is fine eats a little everyday, not sure why they are selling a giant fish and saying it’s 4 inches tho. It’s a fun fish you’ll enjoy watching it.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang sorry to hear you had issues with them. Mine is fine eats a little everyday, not sure why they are selling a giant fish and saying it’s 4 inches tho. It’s a fun fish you’ll enjoy watching it.
Yeah i was waiting to see how big he was after your post and he didn’t disappoint lol. I was really irritated the other one didn’t make it due to poor packing. I love trigger’s they’ve always been one of my favorites along with angels!

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was waiting to see how big he was after your post and he didn’t disappoint lol. I was really irritated the other one didn’t make it due to poor packing. I love trigger’s they’ve always been one of my favorites along with angels!

Triggers are hit or miss for me. I’ve got 2 that just chill in the rocks and 2 that are out and about all the time.

I only have one angel but it’s one of my all time favorite fish, it’s smart and always around the glass.

Thinking about getting a queen angel but I’m always worried about adding fish to this gang of ******s.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are hit or miss for me. I’ve got 2 that just chill in the rocks and 2 that are out and about all the time.

I only have one angel but it’s one of my all time favorite fish, it’s smart and always around the glass.

Thinking about getting a queen angel but I’m always worried about adding fish to this gang of ******s.
I have a queen with my emperor and also a pair of blue line angels. My tank is also decently sized at 360 gallons which helps. If you can find a larger queen like 5 or 6 inches you’ll probably be ok they’re no pushovers lol.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a queen with my emperor and also a pair of blue line angels. My tank is also decently sized at 360 gallons which helps. If you can find a larger queen like 5 or 6 inches you’ll probably be ok they’re no pushovers lol.

Yea this is a 230 I’m thinking of getting rid of a few of these ugly boys to make room for it.

I’d give away the porc puffer and snapper if I knew they were going into a suitable tank.

Theres a couple places selling XL queens right now.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea this is a 230 I’m thinking of getting rid of a few of these ugly boys to make room for it.

I’d give away the porc puffer and snapper if I knew they were going into a suitable tank.

Theres a couple places selling XL queens right now.
Yeah if it was me the queen is worth rehoming the other fish. One of my favorites!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back