How resilient are fish to survive a bite?

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See vid for the bite.

I placed a black trigger and small Tamarin in Qt. Tamarin first. I went with the black trigger since they tend to be more passive than most triggers. I had one previously that was a model citizen roughly the same size and had smaller fish at the time. This one within 5 minutes tore into the tamarin that was grabbing food near him. I placed the tamarin in a mesh breeder box hanging from top of qt but no idea if that’s recoverable. There’s a good chunck taken out on his under side. Any recommendation for meds that might help or is this just what it is.

Thanks

Maybe I just need to stick to Chromis and dart fish…. Bad luck trying to get into less common fish. Took my chance at a regal not long ago to no luck followed by a twistii tamarin.

Attachments

• G8V1-9001-3113-7RHS_2024-01-20T20_54_27-0500.mp4
    4.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
See vid for the bite.

I placed a black trigger and small Tamarin in Qt. Tamarin first. I went with the black trigger since they tend to be more passive than most triggers. I had one previously that was a model citizen roughly the same size and had smaller fish at the time. This one within 5 minutes tore into the tamarin that was grabbing food near him. I placed the tamarin in a mesh breeder box hanging from top of qt but no idea if that’s recoverable. There’s a good chunck taken out on his under side. Any recommendation for meds that might help or is this just what it is.

Thanks

Maybe I just need to stick to Chromis and dart fish…. Bad luck trying to get into less common fish. Took my chance at a regal not long ago to no luck followed by a twistii tamarin.
This tank is way too mall for all these fish and trigger if given the opportunity will cause some damage. While bites generally heal, if its at the gills or eye, wont end well

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is way too mall for all these fish and trigger if given the opportunity will cause some damage. While bites generally heal, if its at the gills or eye, wont end well
It's a 40b for QT for copper/prazi treatment. I have a 20 long I can set up if I need to have another QT going to move something over. Wasn't gills or eyes. He's swimming around in the mesh breeder box, not floating or laying around so hopefully it's a minor issue. Food is soaked in metro.

I can move the purple, starry blenny and tamarin to the 20g if you think that's big enough for those three for long enough to run copper/prazi.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put the smaller ones in the 20g and leave the trigger in the 40g. A month is a long time for such a large fish to be cooped up in a 36" tank. It's hard to say how long he has been in a much smaller tank too.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the smaller ones in the 20g and leave the trigger in the 40g. A month is a long time for such a large fish to be cooped up in a 36" tank. It's hard to say how long he has been in a much smaller tank too.
Thanks. Will do. I know he was in the shop I got him from for a day or two, not long. Just didn't expect him to make a snack of the tamarin after less than 5 minutes of being released into that 40.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's a 40b for QT for copper/prazi treatment. I have a 20 long I can set up if I need to have another QT going to move something over. Wasn't gills or eyes. He's swimming around in the mesh breeder box, not floating or laying around so hopefully it's a minor issue. Food is soaked in metro.

I can move the purple, starry blenny and tamarin to the 20g if you think that's big enough for those three for long enough to run copper/prazi.
It should be. It must be side view making tank look smaller

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be. It must be side view making tank look smaller
Yeah camera is at the side. Got the camera when I took the swing at quarantining that regal so I could see if it ate if I left the room.

Did the same with these guys. Fed and left. Checked in and to my dismay he grabbed that tamarin and shook him like a dog with a ragdoll.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah camera is at the side. Got the camera when I took the swing at quarantining that regal so I could see if it ate if I left the room.

Did the same with these guys. Fed and left. Checked in and to my dismay he grabbed that tamarin and shook him like a dog with a ragdoll.
Thats enough to warrant the trigger as a threat

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats enough to warrant the trigger as a threat
Yeah... color me half surprised. I know he's a trigger but blacks are usually more passive and the last one I had was a teddy bear. But they all have their own personality so maybe this one's just a dick.

Hopefully this is a big fish meets small fish in undersized temporary tank issue rather than a murderous atypical black trigger.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah... color me half surprised. I know he's a trigger but blacks are usually more passive and the last one I had was a teddy bear. But they all have their own personality so maybe this one's just a dick.

Hopefully this is a big fish meets small fish in undersized temporary tank issue rather than a murderous atypical black trigger.
Blacks are hit and miss. . . Blue throats very passive

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Will do. I know he was in the shop I got him from for a day or two, not long. Just didn't expect him to make a snack of the tamarin after less than 5 minutes of being released into that 40.
If they’re given a chance, in a smaller tank a fairly large trigger will have a snack.

As for the bite, do you have a photo?

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re given a chance, in a smaller tank a fairly large trigger will have a snack.

As for the bite, do you have a photo?
I can get one but I think we'll have to up the charges to murder. He looked ok swimming around the mesh breeder box last night but looks like a goner this morning. Does not help that it looks like the trigger bit through the bottom of the mesh a few times so I'm not certain this was from the original incident or one last night though the bites in the mesh are small. Unsure if it was after food caught in the mesh or the wrasse.

Will still run to LFS today for more water, fritz turbot etc. to set up the 20 and move the tang/blenny over though they're swimming around worry free with the trigger this morning (maybe it was food aggression last night with the wrasse or just size). Didn't have the necessary water, bacteria etc. to set up the second QT tank on the fly last night.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back